Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Hardiefloor, UFH and tiles on suspended floor. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

PGDIY

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum and I'm an "experienced DIYer" if I can say that :).

We (my wife) has an idea about swapping kitchen and a living room... I got no problem with plumbing and electrics but she also want tiles and UFH in the new kitchen.
The current floor is wooden and suspended...

The problem is widely known and discussed millions of times. I spent days on reading about it and I think finally found the way of doing it without converting to solid concrete or loosing room height, but I need some advice.

Current floor is 4m by 5m. Suspended on 10cm x 5cm joists (4m long), spaced 40cm, supported by two sleeper walls, covered with 18mm T&G wood.

My plan is to:
1.Remove existing floorboards.
2.Fix rigid foam insulation (75mm)between joists.
3.Fix UFH pipe on the top of insulation, and top it up with screed.
4.Fix Hardiefloor 22mm boards to the joists.
5.Tile on the top (not by me).

Does it sounds right?
Attached picure is stolen from the web... It shows what I'm intending to do, with exception to use the Hardieboard insted of ply.

dry-biscuit.jpg

Abs99

TF
Reaction score
Did you ever work this out? i'm in the same boat and would like to know if this would work.

Where would you source hardiefloor from?

D

Dumbo

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum and I'm an "experienced DIYer" if I can say that :).

We (my wife) has an idea about swapping kitchen and a living room... I got no problem with plumbing and electrics but she also want tiles and UFH in the new kitchen.
The current floor is wooden and suspended...

The problem is widely known and discussed millions of times. I spent days on reading about it and I think finally found the way of doing it without converting to solid concrete or loosing room height, but I need some advice.

Current floor is 4m by 5m. Suspended on 10cm x 5cm joists (4m long), spaced 40cm, supported by two sleeper walls, covered with 18mm T&G wood.

My plan is to:
1.Remove existing floorboards.
2.Fix rigid foam insulation (75mm)between joists.
3.Fix UFH pipe on the top of insulation, and top it up with screed.
4.Fix Hardiefloor 22mm boards to the joists.
5.Tile on the top (not by me).

Does it sounds right?
Attached picure is stolen from the web... It shows what I'm intending to do, with exception to use the Hardieboard insted of ply.

View attachment 106462
I really don't like the sound of the size of your joists and think you should have chat with a structural engineer about the load that will go on the floor

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
4x2 joists, 3 inch insulation UFH pipes and screed, would need to cross batton supports to the underside of joists to accommodate that. As sayd above , would question the structural capability of the joists.

Reply to Hardiefloor, UFH and tiles on suspended floor. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock