Discuss Hardiebacker under Insulation boards? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

It's seems some people love insulation boards and some hate them, my local independent tile shop dosnt sell them and whenever I ask they say theres no call for them as everyone tiles on Hardie.
I have to go to the tile Giant in the next town if I need them.
Can someone explain why it's okay to tile on something so soft like foam cored boards when we do everything we can to make floors rigid?
The smaller the tiles the more likely they would 'sink' into the board.
Order online. www.uheat.co.uk

Reaction score
Glad I found this post ! just had a quote from Andrew at UHeat which includes insulation boards for under the mats. Its for an en-suite 2.0m x 1.6m incorporating a 1000 x 800 offset quad shower with 45mm tray, sink vanity and toilet. I was planning to use 6mm hardiebacker over the existing T&G but then the prospect of introducing 6mm insulation as well confused me. However from reading the above am I right in my understanding that its one or the other, then SLC then tile on top ( Porcelain) . Is there a particular type of SLC or will any suffice.? tia

Reaction score
not used self leveling compound before & first time using under floor heating. just want to make sure I get it right hence asking on here.

O

Old Mod

Yeah all fair enough.
One thing to know about SLC it’s NOT self levelling.
Not completely anyway, it does need some help.
Buy a reputable brand, ie Isomat, Mapei, Tilemaster.
Follow instructions carefully.
It’s not a cheap product, so don’t buy Cheap.
Put a few markers down that show you the low points and work to a level set by your markers.
You can use screws in to floor or silicone joiners packers down to mark your levels.
That’s a very basic outline of how to get a reasonable result.

Reaction score
spiked roller to remove air I presume? would that still be ok to use over an electric under floor heating mat though?

D

Dumbo

I use a plastic spiked roller over underfloor heating and have never had a problem . Not only does it remove air it helps the slc run so helps remove trowel lines and also where you pour slc next to slc you've just laid . Don't get one with 10mm spikes they are not worth bothering with . As much as it pains me to say topps tiles don't do a bad one .

Reaction score
Just completed my first ever ufh install & slc placement. I got the spiked roller from Topps too. I did forget to secure the joiners’ packers as my levelling guide - discovered they float! Anyway the floor was fairly level to start with and the Slc just covers the ufh wiring.

I’ll check the level again in the morning. If, it turns out its not quite level what would be the best remedy? Also, do I need to apply any primer before tiling onto slc?

Q

Qwerty

Just use a small amount of slc to make good. Scraping or sanding high spots can be risky!

Yes, prime the slc before tiling.

Reply to Hardiebacker under Insulation boards? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks