Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Grouting square edge porcelain tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Niall

-
Reaction score
Hi all
I’m laying 600 by 600 square edge porcelain tiles. Because of the square edge should the grout be brought up to the tile level to protect the Edge.

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
Hi all
I’m laying 600 by 600 square edge porcelain tiles. Because of the square edge should the grout be brought up to the tile level to protect the Edge.

How big of a joint are you using? One way I used to grout marble using a 1/16" joint and wanted to keep the joints full was to grout and try to remove as much grout from the surface. Then the grout dry (Not too long or over night) then use a white "Scotch Brite" pad and carefully remove the remaining grout and haze. I would sometime use a floor buffing machine with the those pads if the floor was more than 300 or more square feet.
if your joints are larger than a 1/16" it becomes more of a problem to keep them full, depending on the finish (matte, polished, cleft) if you wait until the joint is firm enough not to wash out, it becomes more difficult to get it off the face.
I have noticed with some of the newer grouts designed to replace unsanded and sanded if you wash too soon it will wash out of the joints, It seems to work better if you let it really set up.
Another thing is if you can't grout the whole floor at once, when you start to grout the rest (if doing on the same day) of the floor, try to dry any extra water that might be on the ungrouted section before grouting.
Just a very little amount of extra water will make the grout become too soft.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Simple answer is to try and keep the joint as full as possible, leaving the grout to set up as much as possible before washing off. Not to much pressure on the initial first wash is paramount to keep a fuller joint.

Reply to Grouting square edge porcelain tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks