Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Glass tile adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

alib103

Got a job coming up i a couple of weeks for a kitchen splashback involving glass tiles. I think tiles are 300 x 120mm. Cutting and the actual tiling are really straight forward, nice easy job but when i looked at the tiles some are painted black on the back and others seem to be sealed with a white/grey back. The customer has bought them all from the same place and the packs were sealed, but they are probably 50/50 mixed. :mad2:
Now i know to use a white addy and solid bed but i've heard some glass tiles need a silicone addy. I was planning to use BAL whitestar/similar.......any advice would be great.

G

GazTech

Got a job coming up i a couple of weeks for a kitchen splashback involving glass tiles. I think tiles are 300 x 120mm. Cutting and the actual tiling are really straight forward, nice easy job but when i looked at the tiles some are painted black on the back and others seem to be sealed with a white/grey back. The customer has bought them all from the same place and the packs were sealed, but they are probably 50/50 mixed. :mad2:
Now i know to use a white addy and solid bed but i've heard some glass tiles need a silicone addy. I was planning to use BAL whitestar/similar.......any advice would be great.
hello alib,
The adhesive best suited for glass would be Bal Mosaicfix, this is powdered adhesive but slow setting, developed for glass & mosaic.....Gaz

S

simon. b

hi I was recently given a new product to try by my supplier called 'PCI nanolight' its a powder adhesive but when mixed performs like a ready mixed tub adhesive and sticks any tile to any substrate its flexible water proof and ideal for glass tiles really good stuff.

D

DHTiling

You have to be careful with those size glass tiles in kitchens....most are not suitable for use behind gaz hobs/cookers....they will shatter with the heat....

Always check with the manufacturer for suitablilty...:thumbsup:

Also not all glass tiles can be fixed with tile adhesive , dispersion or cement based..this depends on the type of backing on the glass...

colour bonded glass tiles you can use a product like bal mosaic fix but if they are painted surface type then you have to use something like mirror mate silicone or epoxy adhesive....:thumbsup:

Again always check with manufacturer...

B

Branty

You have to be careful with those size glass tiles in kitchens....most are not suitable for use behind gaz hobs/cookers....they will shatter with the heat....

Always check with the manufacturer for suitablilty...:thumbsup:

Also not all glass tiles can be fixed with tile adhesive , dispersion or cement based..this depends on the type of backing on the glass...

colour bonded glass tiles you can use a product like bal mosaic fix but if they are painted surface type then you have to use something like mirror mate silicone or epoxy adhesive....:thumbsup:

Again always check with manufacturer...

I've never heard of glass tiles craking behind a hob. I think it would need some serious direct heat to do that.
You're right about the backs of some glass tiles though. Some of them have a backing that is sensitive to water, and when you used a water based adhesive, despersant or bagged it can discolour the backing.
That information should be in the box with the tiles, in which case you have to fix with Epoxy, using a solid bed. Craft ceramics were one of them. They have since (about 18 months ago), improved the backing so that you can use a bagged adhesive. I would reccomend Mosaicfix, or CTF3 with AD1.
As for a bagged adhesive that claims to be waterproof, I'd be wary of that.

D

DHTiling

Only GAS hobs/cookers danny.......not electric.....it's to do with the flame when using pans etc.....I didn't know this until i was asked to fix some glass tiles in a kitchen..whilst reading the install slip within the box it said not to use this type next to flamed gas cookers etc....and these were 300 x 150 tiles as well....

thats why it is always best to check...:thumbsup:

B

Branty

Only GAS hobs/cookers danny.......not electric.....it's to do with the flame when using pans etc.....I didn't know this until i was asked to fix some glass tiles in a kitchen..whilst reading the install slip within the box it said not to use this type next to flamed gas cookers etc....and these were 300 x 150 tiles as well....

thats why it is always best to check...:thumbsup:
I suppose that makes sense.
Would the same not apply to a glazed tile?

D

DHTiling

Not really i suppose as they are ceramic , although a thin glaze coating but pure glass isn't as strong when it comes to heat...:thumbsup:

M

mickbull

Would absolutely recommend BAL Mosaic Fix, I always give it to the fixers and have never had any problems at all!! Plus its brilliant white, which makes it so much easier if your grouting in white!

A

alib103

Thanks guys, think i will go with BAL mosaicfix but will double check the tiles before i start. Sounds a pain doing half with one addy and half with another.

Reply to Glass tile adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks