Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Flooring help required in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

parchy99

Hi Guys (and gals),

Im tiling an upstairs bathroom floor at the weekend and wanted to double check im not going to mess it up!

The customers tiled floor is cracked and you can feel quite a bit of movement in the floor (no wondering why the tiles cracked then), so i am going to assume that the floor needs more adequate boarding. I have been advised to lay at least 18mm marine plywood to make sure that the tiles dont suffer from deflection and the same thing happens again. So this raises a few questions;

1) Is 18mm adequate enough? The customer has chosen 300x300 ceramic floor tiles and i intend to use 2-part flexible adhesive?

2) Do i fix the new plywood directly to the joists or do i screw it through the existing floorboards?

3) Are there any other pitfalls i should avoid

Thanks again!!!

A

amsie

Hi Parcy.

In my experience 18mm should be plenty enough, but check the condition of the underlying floorboards. If they are in a bad way they might require replacing. Fix to the floor evert 6 inches, but be careful when choosing your screw depth as screws too long can hit pipes underneath and flood the room downstairs. I usually start off at 20mm screws, then goto 25mm if theres no bite. 18mm ply +12mm floorboard.

I use a single part flexible adhesive personally.

Paul

I

Ian

Sort the deflection in the floor first, then overboard with a cement board (glued and screwed), a much better surface to tile to.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Remove the deflection first or no amount of board on top will help...

D

DHTiling

Hi Guys (and gals),

Im tiling an upstairs bathroom floor at the weekend and wanted to double check im not going to mess it up!

The customers tiled floor is cracked and you can feel quite a bit of movement in the floor (no wondering why the tiles cracked then), so i am going to assume that the floor needs more adequate boarding. I have been advised to lay at least 18mm marine plywood to make sure that the tiles dont suffer from deflection and the same thing happens again. So this raises a few questions;

1) Is 18mm adequate enough? The customer has chosen 300x300 ceramic floor tiles and i intend to use 2-part flexible adhesive?

2) Do i fix the new plywood directly to the joists or do i screw it through the existing floorboards?

3) Are there any other pitfalls i should avoid

Thanks again!!!

Are you a tiler.. ?

Reply to Flooring help required in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks