Discuss Floor Tiles In Hallway & Downstairs Toilet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on a couple of points when tiling my hallway & downstairs toilet.

1. The hallway is approx. 4m long and 1.8m wide. While it is pretty level, it does have a dip at about 1m in of approx. 4-5mm and then comes back flat again. I'm laying 12mm ext ply over the t&g suspended floor, screwed at 200mm centres.
    • Question: is it better to use a SLC to make it flat, or can I make this level with the adhesive..? If I use SLC does this need any additional prep work on the ply to make it adhere properly..?
  2. I will be running the tiles through the hall and into the downstairs toilet.
    • Question: Can I tile straight through or do I need some sort of expansion joint/break at the doorway. If so, is that as simple as a door trim threshold or something else..?
The tiles I'm using are 600x600.

Hope that all makes sense.

cheers

simon

W

White Room

I would probably build up with adhesive and would have a joint at the door, a cold silicone joint would suffice.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As above. 4 or 5mm isn't too much. Some tiles are out more than that :D:D

And yeah separate rooms need an expansion strip. I think I'm right in saying this needs to go right through all the layers so scrape the adhesive out of the tile joint if you go with the silicone joint.

O

Old Mod

Alternatively, I'd prime the t&g and stick 6mm Hardibacker down and take the dip out when glueing the Hardie. Making sure I had a complete solid bed where the dip is, and then screw the Hardie down. Then tile.
If u need the extra height, then use 12mm.

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Re: the flex joint at the door way, the floor is a continuous t&g suspended floor, the walls between the hall and toilet are stud, so in effect the whole floor is one contiguous piece. Do I still need an expansion joint..? Is the reason because each room may have a different temperature ..?

Just trying to make sure I understand the reasons etc.

cheers

simon

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah each room will expand and retract and deflect slightly differently and you make the doorway the weak point with an expansion strip so the main floors move fine.

You can get silicone match the grout usually. Especially with Mapei grout. Their ranges match well. I think weber too not sure. So you shouldn't spot it easily. Might be a bit shinier.

Reaction score
Sorry, more questions...

I am (now;-( ) reading that ply is not preferred these days, something like Hardibacker is mentioned a lot. I've laid most of my ply now, so a bit worried if its up to the job. Should I prime the ply or just use the addy as-is. My addy is Granfix CFTA - http://www.tileadhesivedirect.co.uk...a-standard-set-flexible-adhesive/prod_54.html . If I should prime, what do I use..?

Re: the expansion joint at the door ways, as my tiles are large (600x600) I'd rather not have an expansion line across a cut tile, so does this mean my layout needs to ensure full tiles either side of the door ways..? Unless I'm lucky, this wont give be a symmetrical line down the centre of the hall.

cheers

simon

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Who is tile adhesive direct?!?! I hate buying from firms that don't include their full business contact details and address on their website.

They use a generic 0845 telephone number and generic live.com email address, and I can't find their address anywhere on the website. And their web design firms website is broken. Alarm bells ring.

Just saying! ha

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Their whois records have more details.

Result of WHOIS query:
Domain name:
tileadhesivedirect.co.uk

Registrant:
cheryl pridmore

Registrant type:
UK Sole Trader

Registrant's address:
Beaulieu Park, 44 Burnell Gate
Essex
CM1 6ED
United Kingdom

Reaction score
Ah, I didn't buy it from them, it came from my bathroom & tile supplier (Dale Bathrooms - Home - http://www.dalebathrooms.com/), its was just the first online link that popped up when I Google the addy name. We used Dale for a bathroom build we did.

Granfix seems to be available from any number of suppliers, here's another - Broken Link Removed

Anyway, I was more interested in the aspect of priming (or not) the ply before the tling. If there are better addy's available I'm at the stage where I can swap what I use.

cheers

simon

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J Sid

Anyway, I was more interested in the aspect of priming (or not) the ply before the tling. If there are better addy's available I'm at the stage where I can swap what I use.

Hi Simon
I was always under the impression that the back and sides of ply should be primed, rightly or wrongly, I sure someone will be able to confirm this, when layer ready to take tiles ! And that is one of the main reasons , amongst many, why i will not tile onto it because it is never done by the chippy when fixed.

Reply to Floor Tiles In Hallway & Downstairs Toilet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi looking for advice laying these floor tiles. My bathroom is chipboard. I’m going to get...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley