Search the forum,

Discuss Floor Tiles In Hallway & Downstairs Toilet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on a couple of points when tiling my hallway & downstairs toilet.

1. The hallway is approx. 4m long and 1.8m wide. While it is pretty level, it does have a dip at about 1m in of approx. 4-5mm and then comes back flat again. I'm laying 12mm ext ply over the t&g suspended floor, screwed at 200mm centres.
    • Question: is it better to use a SLC to make it flat, or can I make this level with the adhesive..? If I use SLC does this need any additional prep work on the ply to make it adhere properly..?
  2. I will be running the tiles through the hall and into the downstairs toilet.
    • Question: Can I tile straight through or do I need some sort of expansion joint/break at the doorway. If so, is that as simple as a door trim threshold or something else..?
The tiles I'm using are 600x600.

Hope that all makes sense.

cheers

simon

Thanks guys.

Re: the flex joint at the door way, the floor is a continuous t&g suspended floor, the walls between the hall and toilet are stud, so in effect the whole floor is one contiguous piece. Do I still need an expansion joint..? Is the reason because each room may have a different temperature ..?

Just trying to make sure I understand the reasons etc.

cheers

simon

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Yeah each room will expand and retract and deflect slightly differently and you make the doorway the weak point with an expansion strip so the main floors move fine.

You can get silicone match the grout usually. Especially with Mapei grout. Their ranges match well. I think weber too not sure. So you shouldn't spot it easily. Might be a bit shinier.

Sorry, more questions...

I am (now;-( ) reading that ply is not preferred these days, something like Hardibacker is mentioned a lot. I've laid most of my ply now, so a bit worried if its up to the job. Should I prime the ply or just use the addy as-is. My addy is Granfix CFTA - http://www.tileadhesivedirect.co.uk...a-standard-set-flexible-adhesive/prod_54.html . If I should prime, what do I use..?

Re: the expansion joint at the door ways, as my tiles are large (600x600) I'd rather not have an expansion line across a cut tile, so does this mean my layout needs to ensure full tiles either side of the door ways..? Unless I'm lucky, this wont give be a symmetrical line down the centre of the hall.

cheers

simon

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Who is tile adhesive direct?!?! I hate buying from firms that don't include their full business contact details and address on their website.

They use a generic 0845 telephone number and generic live.com email address, and I can't find their address anywhere on the website. And their web design firms website is broken. Alarm bells ring.

Just saying! ha

Ah, I didn't buy it from them, it came from my bathroom & tile supplier (Dale Bathrooms - Home - http://www.dalebathrooms.com/), its was just the first online link that popped up when I Google the addy name. We used Dale for a bathroom build we did.

Granfix seems to be available from any number of suppliers, here's another - Broken Link Removed

Anyway, I was more interested in the aspect of priming (or not) the ply before the tling. If there are better addy's available I'm at the stage where I can swap what I use.

cheers

simon

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Floor Tiles In Hallway & Downstairs Toilet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are tiling our kitchen with limestone tiles - we have already done it in the hallway and...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays