Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Fixing tiles flush with the wall in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DJM

I am updating the downstairs toilet and have discovered the original 1920's floor tiles below the carpet are in not bad condition and we want to keep them. The need a little TLC and I asked about that in another thread. But, to keep the theme I have bought some matt black/white chequer mosaic tile to use as the basin splashback and run a border around the room.

I had a mad idea that it would be a good idea to make this border flush with the plaster which means removing a channel of plaster back to brick. Now the issue is that means the depth brick to plaster would be about 20mm. As the mosaic tiles are very thin that would seem a far too large adhesive bed (and be expensive).

So I was thinking of laying a cement screed or plaster skim of about 10mm to leave an adhesive bed of approx 10mm

So is the idea mad, is there a better way of doing it, or should I forget it and live with the raised tiles around the room?

Q

Qwerty

You can do that. I can't say I have ever seen it personally. You could use the 'dog tooth' method which works well.

Q

Qwerty

Basically it's a method of filling a void with adhesive where a border tile will go then making a tool to scrape back the adhesive to the required depth to allow the border to sit flush with the field tiles.

D

DJM

Thanks for the explanation.
I had thought that adhesive to the depth I would have to go back too would be wasteful and expensive compared to a small cement screed and less adhesive.

I'll have a look at the actual depth face to brick will be.

S

Saltire69

Cut a bit of cement board to fit the hole,fix mosaic to cement board and let dry and then dot an dab full thing to the wall and make it flush.

D

DJM

The idea of dot and dab board does seem a good time saver.
Could I use standard plaster board instead as I have plenty of that already

Reply to Fixing tiles flush with the wall in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks