Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Failing Shower Floor Grout in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
P

pisht

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
What was the brand of grout used? I don't think sanded grouts are any stronger just more body to them to allow them to fill wider joints.
Kiesel

OP
P

pisht

TF
Reaction score
H

hmtiling

I hadn't thought about the point loading which could be a factor.

I sent the issue to Wedi as well and waiting for their feedback.

Whether point loading is a contributing factor or not, I think a big problem is the unsanded grout and not having the strength for the large gaps.
You're focusing on the grout when whichever grout was used you would have had issues here.

OP
P

pisht

TF
Reaction score
FYI, this is Wedi's response to tile size:

"Wedi does have tile size recommendations but your shower pan Fundo Primo can accept any size tile. Our recommendations follow industry standards in regards to installation and appropriate setting materials however different products can offer there own recommendations."

The are also fine with the contractor removing the tile, thinset and grout and re-installing on the existing Wedi board and has discussed recommendations with the contractor. They have said:

"I have provided you with multiple options to repair that all fall within warrantied repair methods. You concerns have discussed with your contractor, my Canadian Director has been copied in all correspondence, our North American Director provided an explanation on how to repair your situation."

I still have my doubts but I suppose I should accept the manufacturer's advice. The problem I now have is finding a replacement tile as the tiles used are discontinued.

OP
P

pisht

TF
Reaction score
Wedi has been unwilling to confirm if there could be performance issues reusing a Wedi board on a shower floor i.e. if my contractor removes and re-installs the tile on the same Wedi board, could the reused Wedi potentially cause a failure in the future.

I am looking for some actual experience. Has anyone reused Wedi board on a shower floor? If so, are you aware of any problems caused by doing so?

Thanks.

O

One Day

I would never attempt to reuse a Wedi shower tray.
For the simple reason removal of old tiles will rip up the cement facing.
I would always insist on a full rip-out.

D

Dumbo

I would never attempt to reuse a Wedi shower tray.
For the simple reason removal of old tiles will rip up the cement facing.
I would always insist on a full rip-out.
I agree . I have removed tiles from wedi type boards and they are not reusable

OP
P

pisht

TF
Reaction score
Interestingly Wedi did finally respond to me. They didn't directly answer my question but they did say they would recommend replacing the shower pan rather than trying to repair it and that their warranty covers manufacturing defects. I take that to mean that they won't stand behind a reused/repaired version of their product and there is a risk of problems in the future.

I would be less concerned if this was on a wall but being on a floor with foot traffic, I would not be particularly confident if pieces of the Wedi come off during the demo.

I will have to talk with my contractor again. He seems keen on removing and re-installing the tile/thinset/grout (which he hasn't done before with Wedi) but replacing the shower pan or just trying to replace the grout seem like better options for longevity.

OP
P

pisht

TF
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about epoxy grout.

If an epoxy grout had been used for my shower floor (i.e. pebble tile with large grout gaps), would it lead to pooling of water after a shower? I would assume there would be depressions in the grout where water would pool if it can't be absorbed into the grout.

If an epoxy grout is used on a shower floor but the floor thinset and shower wall thinset and grout are cement based, would moisture get trapped under the epoxy grout? That is, could water get through the wall grout, travel down the wall through the thinset and then into the floor thinset and be trapped under the epoxy grout?

Thanks.

O

One Day

If an epoxy grout had been used for my shower floor (i.e. pebble tile with large grout gaps), would it lead to pooling of water after a shower? I would assume there would be depressions in the grout where water would pool if it can't be absorbed into the grout.

Yes, there could be water left in the grout joint depressions, but this is normal. Don't expect a 100% dry surface after a shower - especially with textured finishes. Just a little maintainance issue is all.

If an epoxy grout is used on a shower floor but the floor thinset and shower wall thinset and grout are cement based, would moisture get trapped under the epoxy grout? That is, could water get through the wall grout, travel down the wall through the thinset and then into the floor thinset and be trapped under the epoxy grout?

Theoretically yes, although a proper installation will mean that moisture in the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ bed will eventually find it's way into the drain. Unless you are using your shower like a commercial shower - i.e. all day and night, it's not likely to cause any issues at all.

Thanks.

Reaction score
The only answer to properly mixed and applied grout that cracks after installation, is only ever one simple thing. Movement of the tiles.
This is logically and surely 100% the reason. Sub-floor movement, incorrect boarding prior to tile, incorrect https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ or not complying to UFHeating curing times.
All of these factors can cause movement in the tile installation after it has been completed, thus resulting in grout failure (even if it flexible).

Reaction score

Thanks.
If your shower area isn't tanked (water-proof sealed) though out the entire room, and presented as a wet-room before any wall and floor tile, then it doesn't really matter what grout is used, as it won't prevent water-damage to the room if you are using as it an unprepared wet-room I'm afraid.
(Epoxy grout is mainly used as an anti-microbial grout used in areas of food preparation and other areas of high microbes such as public swimming baths)
If water gets between the tiles and floor that is not tanked properly, the floor will expand and lift the tiles, causing the bond between the tiles and the floor to fail. The grout will crack, and the installation has failed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If the grout has has cracked, then it's tile failure I'm afraid, and that means ripping it all up and starting again. It's a failed installation. Sorry.

Reply to Failing Shower Floor Grout in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock