Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Expansion Strips!!! - confused! in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

PaulMc

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi
I have tiled several floors over the years, but have now taken on my largest task which is circa 100sqm...

I would value any help on expansion strip placement/requirements as the regs have confused me and I have not found a post on here that applies to my situation. Any positive criticism of the plan below is also welcome!

The space is split into 7 adjoining ground floor rooms/hall, between 3 and 30sqm.
Using 600mm x 600mm square porcelain tiles to be laid square (no overlap of grout lines).
floor is 1980s block and beam with approx 50mm screed and then a 10mm marble tile which went on in the 80s when house was built and has a few hairline cracks which may have been there for 20 or so years.
No underfloor heating.
10mm edge gap and then 25mm wooden skirting added at the end.

Plan to fit decoupling layer first, just in case there is some seasonal movement in the floor.

So here is the question...do I really need expansion stips. cosmetically can not find a spot to install them as the rooms are overall open plan with the doors open and the point of the project is to create a single impressive expanse of flooring. the largest room is 7m x 5m but is adjoins onto the other rooms through double doors and to another via a single door, those rooms, in turn, connect to others.

With the decoupling, the tile gaps, and wall gaps it feels like no room is large enough to need the ugly strips, however they connect to other rooms.

I would welcome views on the need for the expansion stips in this situation...

Reaction score
I would fit them in the door ways if the customer allows. I think the BS concerning expansion joints is something like every 6 - 8 linier metres.

Reaction score
If a tile is going to go, its likely to be in the doorway on a floor of this size. And I have found that generally there will be a day joint in the screed in the door way as well. Its a large area, better to be safe than sorry. I'm just saying if I was tile that floor that's what I would do..

Reply to Expansion Strips!!! - confused! in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock