Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Expansion worry with heated tiled floor in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Gary99

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys,
I have installed ditra heating mat with electric underfloor heating over a 35 square meter area in my kitchen area (rectangle shape, empty room with no kitchen cabinets). I also planned out where the heating wires were to go and not go in regards to kitchen cabinets not sitting directly over these once installed etc. I have since tiled the whole area as it was an empty room with 600mm floor tiles and ensured perimeter expansion of 10mm and the job looks fantastic.
My concern is, have I made a schoolboy error here with tile the whole kitchen floor area as when I come to install my kitchen cabinets over the tiles that the shear weight of the kitchen cabinets and certainly the weight of the 30mm high quartz stone worktops will stop the tiles from expanding under the feet of the cabinets to the perimeter of the room. My kitchen cabinets will be installed on one side of the room with a peninsula breakfast bar area.
Any thoughts would be appreciated and if there is an issue with my installation then what would be the best way to rectify this as I don't want the tiles tenting or cracking etc as I have spend a lot of money and want the installation to last a long time.
Many thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Gary.

OP
G

Gary99

-
Reaction score
It will be fine đź‘Ť , done loads that way.
Hi Dave, thanks for the speedy reply, it's very much appreciated.
So will it definitely be ok with having electric underfloor heating? as my worry is that the kitchen cabinets together with the shear weight of the Quartz worktops on top will be like anchoring the tiles to the floor eg like 6 x guys sitting on the worktops so they won't budge etc.
Let me know,
Many thanks again,
Cheers,
Gary.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Dave, thanks for the speedy reply, it's very much appreciated.
So will it definitely be ok with having electric underfloor heating? as my worry is that the kitchen cabinets together with the shear weight of the Quartz worktops on top will be like anchoring the tiles to the floor eg like 6 x guys sitting on the worktops so they won't budge etc.
Let me know,
Many thanks again,
Cheers,
Gary.
Yes it’ll be fine. The expansion is very minimal and your kitchen won’t effect it.

Reply to Expansion worry with heated tiled floor in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock