Discuss Tile expansion gap in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 57709

Hi guys,
I'm tiling a large floor area 30 square meters (rectangle shape room) using 600x600 porcelain floor tiles and leaving 3mm grout joints. I understand that I need to leave un-grouted expansion gaps around perimeter of the room and also understand that I need to leave un-grouted expansion gaps every so often in the floor area.
2 questions:
1/ How often or how many feet should you have an expansion joint or an un-grouted grout line?
2/ Can I use silicone sealant for these expansion joints between the tile which would have been for grout? So in other words rather than using grout which doesn't allow for expansion to use silicone instead which will allow for expansion?
Thanks in advance,
Gary.

D

Deleted member 57709

:) Sorry it's 40 sq meters not 30 my mistake typo error. Floor is approx 11m x 3.7m and yes skirting is off so I'm leaving a 8mm gap all the way around the perimeter.

D

Deleted member 57709

:)
:) Sorry it's 40 sq meters not 30 my mistake typo error. Floor is approx 11m x 3.7m and yes skirting is off so I'm leaving a 8mm gap all the way around the perimeter.
Crikey think my head is in a shed today as I forgot to say that I have installed Ditra Heat mat and electric underfloor heating all over the floor area so that's why I was asking about the movement joint requirements.
To confirm its 40 sq meters not 30 sq meters.

Thanks in advance,

Gary.

D

Deleted member 57709

:)
Ok. Then tile away, no expansion joints required within the tiles. Just perimeter 👍
Hi Dave could you confirm that I don't need any field movement joints even with electric underfloor heating in place under the tile?

Thanks for your help really appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary

Reply to Tile expansion gap in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks