Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss En-Suite Shower - Tanking, Grout and Adhesive advice required in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

R-Jeffery

Morning,

A complete novice to the site and to the industry so please be gentle.

I have recently had to rip out my shower due to mould and plasterboard damage. Upon removing tiles etc we found that the plasterboard used was standard board and that no tanking was completed either. (Pretty impressive for a 3 year old apartment :mad2:) - I'm assuming based on these failings that the incorrect grout and adhesive was used too.

Anyway I have just had moistureboard fitted and was planning on tanking & getting waterproof adhesive and grout.

I've been reading these forums for some weeks now and wanted some advice on a) what tanking kit to use b) whether waterproof adhesive and grout is required after tanking and if so which to use. c) Will I also need a specific sealant to finish off?

After the mess this has made I really just want to ensure that I cover all basis so that I dont come accross these issues again.

Help is much appreciated! :thumbsup:

R

R-Jeffery

Picture attached for reference, any help would be much appreciated.
New Image.jpg

R

R-Jeffery

From looking on the forum it appears that Mapei is a popular choice for tanking, gout and adhesive. I was planning therefore on going for the MAPEI Shower Waterproofing Kit, I was advised in a tile shop about Mapei ProFlexible for adhesive and Mapei Ultracolur Plus for the grout.

As per the picture the walls are 2.12M high and 0.88M wide with two walls requiring attention.

Are these OK to use? I keep seeing similar questions and comments regarding using the correct type of adhesive and grout to ensure that it remains waterproof.

Really sorry but I'm no expert and would really appreciate a couple of pointers. I have a tiler friend who is fitting this all for me but he is away for a couple of weeks and has asked me to supply all of the products prior to fitting.

Any pointers?? Please help..

R

R-Jeffery

From reading many of the threads I have stumbled across Mapei quite a few times.

I'm looking at using the Mapei waterproofing Kit, Mapei ProFelxible Adhesive and Mapei Ultracolour Plus Grout, finishing off with the Mapei AC Silicone sealant.

The tiles themselves will be fixed to 15mm Moistureboard. I have purchased some 31x45 Nerea Crema ceremamic tiles with some Expresso (Marble - I think) Mosaic tiles to form a pattern up the middle of the enclosure.

Is the MAPEI kit detailed above sufficient to waterproof and secure the tiles?

Any tips????

B

bugs183

Hiya.
The Mapei kit will do fine for this job.
I'd be tempted to gun some 'instastick' foam glue (Screwfix) inbetween the shower tray and the boards, alow to dry cut flush. This will strengthen the boards where they meet the tray.
Tank with the kit as instructed, then use the products named above. If you don't tile much i'd say use a slow drying adhesive as it gives you time to play with.
Enjoy!

R

R-Jeffery

Thanks Bugs,

A friend of mine is tiling for me (dont trust myself) but he asked me to get all of bits prior to him returning from holiday.

Just wanted to make sure I'm ready to go when he gets back as having to sit in bath every morning is driving me insane!! haha..

Appreciate the advice..

Reply to En-Suite Shower - Tanking, Grout and Adhesive advice required in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks