Discuss Dry fitting a large room when working alone? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I'm tiling a 20X20 room, and it will require a lot of cuts around the edges. My question: Would you dry fit the room first? I don't want my thinset drying on me while I'm in an out making cuts, but dry fitting adds a lot of time to the job. What's your method?

I've tiled small areas before but I'm still a novice.

Thanks!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi welcome to the forum. No don't dry cut them, by the time you've tiled an area the cuts would have probably changed, even just a few mm can cause a knock-on effect.

You're best setting out the whole room, tile a square meter at a time, and do the cuts as you go. Or tile the whole tiles everywhere first, then go back once the adhesive has set, and do the cuts last.

Either way, don't dry cut. It'll backfire.

What size tiles are they? - Why aren't you getting a tiler in?

Reaction score
Hi welcome to the forum. No don't dry cut them, by the time you've tiled an area the cuts would have probably changed, even just a few mm can cause a knock-on effect.

You're best setting out the whole room, tile a square meter at a time, and do the cuts as you go. Or tile the whole tiles everywhere first, then go back once the adhesive has set, and do the cuts last.

Either way, don't dry cut. It'll backfire.

What size tiles are they? - Why aren't you getting a tiler in?
Thanks, Dan. These are larger tile in a pattern. Another tiler told me to do the same. Do whole tiles then go back 24 hours later and cut the pieces. I've tiled a little before, so I can handle it. I just haven't done a room this large.

Reply to Dry fitting a large room when working alone? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks