Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Does Sealing The Back Of Stone Impair Adhesion? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gazzer

What are your opinions regarding sealing stone by sealing the full tile, front, back and sides before fixing. Do you think it would impair the adhesive bond ?

M

Mr Tiler

if you are supposed to re-seal tiles in a wet area every half year then the bond to the tile cant be all that so what I would be thinking is only seal up the face and sides

G

Gazzer

I have to admit that I have never sealed all the tile but recent conversations have me curious about this........watch this space but first I need to gather more info from all of you.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
^^^^^What he says!!^^^^^
Sorry Neale I'm not going to keep following you around copying your answers but er..... I am on this one! Should be interesting! I've answered this based on how I've always previously done it.

R

Rookery

I've never sealed the reverse. It seems pointless as its main function is to help prevent stains on the surface. I dont know for definite but I would expect addy to stick better if the stone wasnt sealed on the back, provided it wasnt dusty.

G

Gazzer

Keep your thoughts coming...remember this will be a debate not an argument. All will be revealed in time but I will need your help once again before that can happen.

C

Concrete guy

There are reasons why you don't pre seal stone products, most of which are to do with adhesion and water dispersion.

Most stone is wet cut at the production plant and unless it's a particularly hot country is often packed wet.

In an ideal world any case of stone should be unpacked and allowed to dry/settle in the room in which it's being fitted. But that's not practical in the real world.

So you fit the stone raw, with a suitable adhesive and allow it all to dry, then use sealing products.

I can see your thought process Neale, but in the real world it's very unusual for a stone tile delivery to be free from moisture. Any moisture content would inhibit the effectiveness of chemicals applied to it.

T

The D

well I work with natural stone a lot :thumbsup:, I also have few friends (stone masons) , they work with stone every day for many years, and they say the same thing. But let's see what other members say :)
lol done a bit myself m8

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I did a lot of stone work for "ideal stone interiors" years ago. And they have drying room, so we used to dry stone properly and then seal. But I agree with you ATS , many stone suppliers bring vet stone tiles to site.

Reply to Does Sealing The Back Of Stone Impair Adhesion? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks