Search the forum,

Discuss Does anyone charge a fee for going out to measure up for a job ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

Title says it all really.

I had a call the other week asking if I was able to go round and measure up and give her a price for tiling a kitchen floor, so I said "of course, when would you like me to call round etc", agreed a time then she asked "do you charge for coming out" and I said no with a laugh.... then asked her if she'd been told by anyone else that they would charge her to come out and have a look at the job and she said yes, 2 different tilers said they charged for this, so she didn't get them to come out.

So, does anyone on here charge for going out to price up a job ?

T

tiler burden

no, i dont charge for quotations...

i do charge for insurance quotes!!! £20 for a typed quote.. and i reduce the call out fee if i get the job..reason being is, it cuts out the r's holes who are after a quote to claim on there insurance..if there genuine, then there usually ok

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fekin

One thing I have never figured out is how do plumbers get away with.. and why do we all pay for their "call out" charge for fixing something ?

Now I can understand a call out fee if you phone a plumber out of hours because you have water pouring through the roof, but not when you just have a problem with the boiler that you happily waited 3 days for them to come round to fix.
Imagin someone wanting a splashback tiling, quoting say £150, then giving them the bill...

Tiling £150
Call out charge £50

Last time they tried it on me they got the labour charge and unit price and was told to vacate the house.

T

TilingLogistics

I do but they get it refunded if they engage me to do the job and I suppose what I do is slightly different to you guys. But never charged for tiling quotes.

Kev

G

Gazzer

Depends how far the job was. As a rule no i dont but there have been times that i have been asked to see jobs a long way from home and they have paid. These jobs are generally organisations or companies etc and they are not really spending their own money.
Yes i charge for insurance quotes as for the same reasons as above in a previous post.

F

faithhealer

Wouldn't dream of it. Went to look at a shower problem once and this old lady said how much do I want for just looking at it. Wouldn't take anything and a few monthe later got a £1000 bathroom job off her. (Her previous bathroom took a plumber/tiler 11 days to do and left this lady and her disabled husband without water for three days at one time!)

E

eyebeetiling

I've never charged either, but if you have had a bit of extra expense to do a quote just add it into the quote itself and hope that you get the work.

C

CLAYS TILES

no, i dont charge for quotations...
but the way our favorite goverment is going we may have to start just to keep up with fuel costs!

Reply to Does anyone charge a fee for going out to measure up for a job ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen