Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cutting XL tiles around doors etc in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Do you have to drill holes in XL tiles before cutting a piece out for example round a door .
I've seen some YouTube videos and they all show this method

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Do you have to drill holes in XL tiles before cutting a piece out for example round a door .
Apparently so, it relieves tension in the tile and stops it cracking.
But I’ve only ever heard of it on the internet, never seen anyone do it in real life and never done it myself .

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Apparently so, it relieves tension in the tile and stops it cracking.
But I’ve only ever heard of it on the internet, never seen anyone do it in real life and never done it myself .
Thanks I thought that but wanted to get confirmation if it's necessary

I

Italy

in any case if you should be able to cut it,
better to round the corner with a diamond bit
like these
s-l640.jpg

O

Old Mod

XL?
Not pre drilling a corner opens you up for a potential breakage.
Thro experience I can assure you it increases your chance of a successful install when you pre drill corners.
If you have a sharp 90 degree corner, any stress on the left or right side can cause a fracture, effectively you’re creating a start point.
Whereas if you form an arc, there is no actual starting point for the fracture.
Don’t be lazy, increase your chances of only cutting a tile once.
Drill that corner.

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
XL?
Not pre drilling a corner opens you up for a potential breakage.
Thro experience I can assure you it increases your chance of a successful install when you pre drill corners.
If you have a sharp 90 degree corner, any stress on the left or right side can cause a fracture, effectively you’re creating a start point.
Whereas if you form an arc, there is no actual starting point for the fracture.
Don’t be lazy, increase your chances of only cutting a tile once.
Drill that corner.
Is 6 mm hole ok

O

Old Mod

Is this floor or wall, what are you cutting around?
If it’s a floor, go to 8-10 then as you offer it up to the corner you’re cutting around, undercut the corner itself, just high enough to slip the arc under.
Follow?

D

Dumbo

To be honest if you have skirting going on top I drill a bigger hole just because I find I get through quicker and get more tiles per drill , say 25 mm

O

One Day

This was a piece roughly 2.2m x 800mm cut out of a 3m x 1.5m tile.
20mm hole cut first, then scribed both cuts. Grinder up the short edge, grinder approx 100mm into the next scribe to take tension out. Then the tricky break!
£800 each tile you don't risk it.

IMG_20190423_113633.jpg

Reply to Cutting XL tiles around doors etc in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock