Discuss Crackle Glaze tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Quick questions guys and girls. Crackle glaze tiles. Can i score and snap these or does it have to be a wet cutter? Never done them before.

W

White Room

Done some quite a few years ago, snapped with manual cutter but if you do use a wet cutter keep the water clean....

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Be careful when grouting these. One of my suppliers recommended that this type of tile be sealed prior to grouting. They said that the crackle is constantly moving, albeit minutely. I had to be convinced, so if you try and 'bend' one of these tiles. and then put it close to your ear, you can actually hear the glaze cracking, So ask the supplier before buying if they need sealing. :thumbsup:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Thanks JB.

Samples arrived today so i'll give it a try. Supplier suggests on website they should be sealed first. Also to seal if they are to be wet cut? I'm not entirely sure why this is necessary though. Looking at the tile, it's the glaze and not the coloured surface/paint that is cracked. Therefore not the tile. I've never had to seal a ceramic tile with uncracked glaze before running it over the bed.
I presume it's to prevent water staining the ceramic, but if the painted finish is consistant, is there any need?

These are the tiles, and supplier:

Crackle Glaze Bermondsey Olive Retro Metro Wall Tiles 7.5x15cm - Tons of Tiles - Metro Tiles, Tile
Crackle Glaze Camden Cream Retro Metro Wall Tiles 7.5x15cm - Tons of Tiles - Metro Tiles, Tile
Crackle Glaze Bermondsey Olive Dado Border Tile 5x15cm - Tons of Tiles - Metro Tiles, Tile

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks JB.

Samples arrived today so i'll give it a try. Supplier suggests on website they should be sealed first. Also to seal if they are to be wet cut? I'm not entirely sure why this is necessary though. Looking at the tile, it's the glaze and not the coloured surface/paint that is cracked. Therefore not the tile. I've never had to seal a ceramic tile with uncracked glaze before running it over the bed.
I presume it's to prevent water staining the ceramic, but if the painted finish is consistant, is there any need?

All I would say is follow the suppliers guide, if you don't and there's a problem, you are responsible. And that may cost you more than the repair!!!

J

jonnyc

i used to do loads of hand made crackles from spain for paris ceramics.
the only thing we had to avoid was using fast set adhesive because it could blow the glaze.
that was many years ago but i still get asked to fix crackle glaze behind agas from other manufacturers of uk hand made tiles like Alice gibbons and they also say no rapid set.
no reason why you cant seal the surface with stainstop or similar i imagine

Reply to Crackle Glaze tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks