Search the forum,

Discuss cracked tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

HEM

I had a new bathroom installed recently (three months). Three walls around the bath and shower tiled. Over the past week approx 8 tiles (so far) have cracked in a vertical line (so almost the same line down on each tile in a vertical row). The tiles are over a false wall which was built to hide the shower plumbing. The cracks are no more than 1/2 mm if that and there appears to be no movement in the tiles at all. The cracks have been loud and sudden and each time after the bath or shower has been used.

I'm wondering whether the extreme temperatures of the past 10 days may have had any influence – very cold wall, very hot water? Or whether this is an underlying problem with the wall...

Any thoughts? And can anyone tell me if i can fill and seal the cracks or will the wall need re-tiling?

Any advice gratefully received!

D

diamondtiling

Hi Hem, welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

replacement tiles are your only option for 100% peace of mind.
The wall that the tiles are on must be moving, you may not be able to feel it but I would bet money on that being the cause of your problems.

Any pictures?
:thumbsup:

H

HEM

So speedy!
Hmm, thanks. I had a nasty feeling that that might be the answer, just not what i want to hear!
One pic attached. Hopefully.

Attachments

• IMG_2819.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 61
D

diamondtiling

That looks like there is no support behind those tiles, a linear crack is a dead give away.

What are the walls made up of, ie substrates and finishes?

H

HEM

Oh dear.
No idea – this is a false wall that they put in to hide the pipes and plumbing for shower –*which runs up behind those tiles.

I'm certainly no builder and sorry substrate means very little to me! From what i remember they built it out of ply. I thought they were going to cement over the ply –*but i was away at the time :-( Of course. Or would they have just put the adhesive straight on? I really have no idea.

Either way it sounds like i might need to get the whole wall looked at and potentially re-tiled? Am i allowed to swear on here?!

Presumably if i can't do fairly soon, it is only going to get worse and i risk moisture getting in underneath and causing more problems?

D

diamondtiling

Swearing is a no no even if you are justified.
You really need to find out what is behind those tiles, get the builder back to explain why these are cracking.
If its an area that is exposed to water then stop using it until the problem has been rectified. Shower areas need to be tanked. The walls should not be just ply or plasterboard alone, those surfaces need protection. Water will always find a way through if the substrate (the make up of the wall) is not correct.
Aqua panels should have been used in a wet area.
Where are you in the country? someone could call and give you some advice.

:20:

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HEM

Think builder has actually left the country but will try and contact him.

Unfortunately it is the only bathroom in a flat, so not using it isn't really an option, can only minimise usage and keep as dry as possible. The other tiled walls are cement over brick from what i remember, they were just re-tiled. This is the only 'new' one.

I'm actually based in London, so bit of a way away! But MANY thanks for your advice, and got the number! Sounds like i'd better get someone to come in and take a look soon though. At least i have spare tiles, well some...

Thanks again. *

D

diamondtiling

Hem there are many thousands of members on here that will gladly give you some free advice, if you want someone to call then say your location and I am positive one of the members close by will help you.

Good luck pal.

:thumbsup:

W

White Room

It could be to different materials used next to each other and fighting for space, any movement will differ between each material

S

simhopper

Or they used wet ply that is drying out and shrinking

If the crack was caused by water ingress then it would buckle rather than split

H

HEM

Thanks guys! Any tips on what to look for when we remove the damaged tiles?

Is there anything i can do to minimise chance of repeat (which doesn't involve retiling the entire wall)?

W

White Room

Theres no easy answer for this, as diamond has said, the wall is getting moisture into it and it could be better to replace with the hardie backer.

Reaction score
Hi Hem

No easy way, what ever you do to resolve the problem is always likely to show as a patch. Probably best to remove and retile the whole wall. Could maybe try one of the mat systems which would act as a decoupling membrane too and absorb some of the movement

Reply to cracked tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Good Evening, I installed 12x24 wall tile in my shower remodel. I realize now that I should have...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen