Search the forum,

Discuss chicken tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I always smile when I see a new refit job fixed with these as I know how easy they will come off!!!

I'd fought with a fair few to be honest! Lath and plaster > BAL Primer > BAL Whitestar (or Grip was it back then before the new Grip came out agan?) - lethal combination. Replaced walls just to retile a splashback lol

T

Time's Ran Out

I always smile when I see a new refit job fixed with these as I know how easy they will come off!!!
But as they've been on for some 40 years with tubbed adhesive, I think the customer got value for money.
We would often get to a site kitchen or bathroom after the painters and find the walls emulsioned! So either the Bal Tad adhesive or the emulsion had special properties.

M

Mr Tiler

Sorry to jump the thread but why do johnsons state they are a British manufacturer and then have 'made in china' stamped on? Anyoneone know? Cheers

W

White Room

But as they've been on for some 40 years with tubbed adhesive, I think the customer got value for money.
We would often get to a site kitchen or bathroom after the painters and find the walls emulsioned! So either the Bal Tad adhesive or the emulsion had special properties.

The site agent was'nt organised then....

afright

TF
Reaction score
Did hundreds of bathrooms using Johnson crystal vein tiles 4 1/4 " x 4 1/4 ",72 to the sq yd,they did do them in 6" as well .Them and the Cameo range was what was mostly fixed in the 70s you could easy do a bathroom a day,and yes fixed with the old bal tad.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Did hundreds of bathrooms using Johnson crystal vein tiles 4 1/4 " x 4 1/4 ",72 to the sq yd,they did do them in 6" as well .Them and the Cameo range was what was mostly fixed in the 70s you could easy do a bathroom a day,and yes fixed with the old bal tad.

As above, spot on in every aspect, full bathroom in a day Bal Tad etc.:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Do you remember how they were boxed - 36 to a half yard with cardboard every 12 tiles!
Well I tell my son of the time I had to grout in one of my bosses bathrooms!
Not the textured vein tile but the 'donkey brown' plain colour- yes that was its actual name and as the colour was the same as the cardboard packing spacers, every 12th tile on the wall was a piece of cardboard - 24 sq yards he'd done in the day and it took me another day to rake the Bal Tad out of his joints and replace all the cardboard with tiles. All for £15.00 per week!
Dont get much more now but at least I don't have to grout in any one else's 'tiling'.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Do you remember how they were boxed - 36 to a half yard with cardboard every 12 tiles!
Well I tell my son of the time I had to grout in one of my bosses bathrooms!
Not the textured vein tile but the 'donkey brown' plain colour- yes that was its actual name and as the colour was the same as the cardboard packing spacers, every 12th tile on the wall was a piece of cardboard - 24 sq yards he'd done in the day and it took me another day to rake the Bal Tad out of his joints and replace all the cardboard with tiles. All for £15.00 per week!
Dont get much more now but at least I don't have to grout in any one else's 'tiling'.

I remember Donkey Brown TJ. But £15.00 per week, you were lucky I was on 3 Pounds 7s and 6d per month:lol:

Reply to chicken tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen