Search the forum,

Discuss Black grout needed for tiled worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

thewoolman

Hi, can anyone suggest what grout to use for my kitchen worktops. i tiled it with black galaxy star granite tiles - which look great, but need to grout.

I used 1mm spacers, the tiles have chamfurred edges so the gap after this is about 3mm.

i think black grout would look best, and read that epoxy is best in food prep area's. Or maybe anti bacterial?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Simon

G

grumpygrouter

Epoxy would be best as it is impervious to water and therefore more hygienic but I am not sure you can get black epoxy! I have grouted the same tiles with Ultracolor Plus in black. This is anti fungal and has "drop effect" to slow down the rate of water ingress.
Might be a pic in my album if you want to see what it looks like. :thumbsup:

S

seamonkey

As above Ultracolor is good. Kerapoxy is great but darkest they do is anthracite (don't know about other manufacturers):8:

D

DHTiling

Yes..you can get black epoxy...me and a few other fixers will not forget grouting a 40 mtr quarry floor with it......:ban:it i say..:lol:.....

Saying that the NEW epoxys are a lot better.

T

Terry Cottar

Grout it with normal grout then colour it with Aqua Mix Grout Colourant in Black which is an epoxy:hurray::hurray::hurray:

tel

T

thewoolman

thanks for the feedback, do anyone know if
Mapei Kerapoxy Epoxy Grout Black is suitable/good and easy to use?

simon

W

White Room

It's alot easier than some other epoxy grouts, with black do loads of cleaning and don't leave anything for the next day

D

Dad

Just did my first job today (a kitchen worktop) using BLACK Mapei Kerapoxy. I am not a tiler, but I have done quite a few tiling jobs and this was part of a kitchen fit. I found it a bit of a stressful experience too perfectionist (post elsewhere). For a start, I couldn't get the room or the tiles warm, so the stuff was as thick as guts. I was using my usual rubber tile float as well - so I had no end of problems getting the stuff into the joints. problem is, once you have mixed it, you have to go! Got there in the end, but I won't be rushing to use it again..... (especially in black)

S

Scott

I had the same trouble the one and only time i ever used it. Flat was freezing cold as was the granite. Gave up and used a normal grout.

Reply to Black grout needed for tiled worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen