Discuss Best Adhesive and sealant for skirting boards in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mickp

Hi, Not sure if this in the correct forum as it is not strictly a tiling question however I will soon be ready to start re-fitting my skirting boards after tiling most of downstairs :hurray: and I was wondering what is the best adhesive to use to stick them back on? It is a new house so they are direct to dabbed plaster board. When I removed them they were fixed with some sort of adhesive with a few additional nail gun nails and I am happy to replace them in the same way. Grip fill keeps cropping up but I am thinking of maybe seeking out something more instant grab so I can maybe skip the nails. There seems to be a huge range out there I am sure some are far better than others so just wondering what people are using.

Also I am looking to seal the gap between the bottom of the skirting and the tiles so looking for a decent white silicone that wont pull away or discolour. Again there are loads out there but I have some Dow Corning 785 left over from another job which is great for sealing bathroom stuff wonder if this is suitable for the skirtings?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
I always use the green tube (gripfill) on skirtings, it has to be a fresh tube and don't be stingy with it. The trick is to lay a bead (I normally put about a 80mm bead every 150mm alnong the length in a vertical pattern). Then push the skirting in place and pull it off again straight away, if the glue is fresh and the walls are dust free you should see that the adhesive has half transferred to the wall. Finally press the skirting back in place and if everything else has been done properly, it will stick like the proverbial. Oh and to finish off use a tube of solvent free (yellow tube) gripfill to run a bead between the top of the skirting and wall. Wipe your finger across the top and jobs done. Must be gripfill not a cheap brand and you will not get it to stick if your walls are not straight +- a few mm. Hope it helps.

J

Just Rizzle

try sticks like s~~t seems to be popular with most of the joiners i see on the sites

W

White Room

Stixal for me but did use a wickes stuff once and it stuck well with no problems....

M

mickp

Great thanks for all the replies & advice. I am spoilt for choice now. Gripfill seems like the go-to for skirtings although I am not sure how the dogs will get on with the solvent as there are a lot of boards to stick back on so I may check out one of the solvent free options such as stixall or sticks like s--t (I thought that was a joke until I saw it in screwfix). I used stixall previously on a motorhome to stick various bits and was pretty chuffed with the results - also gets the majority vote here. Just need to finish this damn tiling now and im ready to go.

Thanks again

M

mickp

gripfill and 2nd fix paslode for me !

I think that is how they were fixed in the first place as there were loads of long thin nails spaced along the length that passed through the plaster boards and possibly into the block behind. I assume these nails are just there to hold the boards in place while the adhesive cures and are not really necessarily the main fixing method. I don't have the luxury of a paslode so was planning to use just adhesive and hold the boards in place with something while it cured

D

David - Tradetiler

Gripfill, Pink Grip etc are very good. The most popular and best versions are solvent based but skin over in seconds, be sure to bang whatever you are fixing home really fast to avoid a failure. A bit of rubbing in can help overcome the problem but not allways possible. A few boxes of tiles are great for holding skirting while the adhesive grabs and avoids the risk of hitting pipes and wires associated with using nails or screws.

Reply to Best Adhesive and sealant for skirting boards in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks