Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss BCT Ceramic Floor Tiles Cracking (Pictures) in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
British Ceramic Tile (BCT) ceramic tiles with a thick biscuit and thin glaze are cracking on wooden floors.

Fixed correctly. Using a tile backer board with correct screws and tape.

The tiles don't appear fit for floors. Some tilers we know have said they refuse to fit them on floors.

Here is one example.

image.jpeg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any other examples of BCT floor tiles doing this?

bigdave1903

TF
Arms
Reaction score
They're not great for floors. Wouldn't have thought it would take much movement to crack them. I wouldn't be keen on using them on floors even thoughthe box says differently.

T

Time's Ran Out

If I'am right they are spec'd as a wall and floor tile - floor tile usage for no shoe traffic ie bathroom. However as a tile fixer I believe that moisture will get down the side of the grout line and seep into the biscuit and ultimately stain the tile from the edges.
The wall tile biscuit that it's produced from is white and very dry. Extremely light in weight and the soft glaze has a number of imperfections ranging from pin heads to patches of missing glaze on edges. As many as 2 tiles per metre is the norm. These can of course be used for cuts but it's 10-15% wastage.
The first time we were required to fit these tiles I asked for confirmation from the Tile Distributor supplying them that they were indeed suitable for floors. To the client I insisted the only way we were prepared to undertake this work was on top of Ditra mat and 7 years later no comeback.
I would refuse to fix these tiles to any boarded substrate without a crack membrane being used.
In my opinion they are a wall tile, totally unsuitable for wet areas and floors and of extremely poor manufacture bordering on unfit for purpose.
This of course my own personal view of a range of ceramic tiles produced by BCT.

S

Stef

I totally agree with TJ on the issue with these tiles.
In my opinion they aren't fit to be fitted to floors as they are too brittle.
Last ones I fitted I snapped one with my hands which shouldn't happen with a tile.
I fitted a few different ranges & sizes of these tiles & they are all the same.
This issue needs to be resolved & the easy solution is for the manufacturer to remove the words "suitable for floors" from the boxes.
Will the manufacturer listen to us Tilers that are stuck with them?
I suspect not..
Is there anyone on the forum from BCT?

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As i said before, to look at those pictures I myself would think dodgy subfloor and prep, the only movement affecting the tiles is the natural expansion and contraction of the floorboards.

I almost think not gluing the hardiebacker down as I always do would have prevented this?

K

Kevbos

But tiles are not best but .they not in my mind suitable for a floor as with most ceramic tiles they are glazed.a thin miniscule cost cutting amount of it in most bct tiles .you get the ceramic that might be able to withstand the .flexibility issues .then a half mm glaze of colour etc that is fired separately onto the ceramic tile .I don't tile most ceramics on floors as your asking for trouble .

Reply to BCT Ceramic Floor Tiles Cracking (Pictures) in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks