Discuss Average meterage per day?? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Mr Tiler

so with the majority of you saying theres no way to say how long a job will take.... when handing in a quote how do you determine how many days its going to take?

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
so with the majority of you saying theres no way to say how long a job will take.... when handing in a quote how do you determine how many days its going to take?

Because when quoting you can see what cuts are involved and know how long the job will take.

I

IHB

T. If you're just starting out and you're supplying all the labour then you could write off most of the labour cost. All you need to do is earn more than you get now.

If you underestimate the time and it overruns then you've not actually lost any money and you've got the experience for next time.

Just make sure you price the consumables properly cause you'll end up out of pocket on these if you under price them.

In other words price the first few jobs at cost and get the experience.

M

Mr Tiler

nah I wasn't on about meself mate I just meant most of you must be miles behind schedule and customers must be fuming! lol.... but now were on that subject what do you class as consumables mate? can you charge for drill bits etc or is it purely materials you charge for i.e wood, plasterboard and adhesive etc?

M

Mr Tiler

T. If you're just starting out and you're supplying all the labour then you could write off most of the labour cost. All you need to do is earn more than you get now.

In other words price the first few jobs at cost and get the experience.
and yeh mate I think that's what I will do when I start.... tbh all I would want is a decent drink out of it unless I was subbing then I would have to charge something or if I got more work off them I would always be doing it for nothing lol

I

IHB

nah I wasn't on about meself mate I just meant most of you must be miles behind schedule and customers must be fuming! lol.... but now were on that subject what do you class as consumables mate? can you charge for drill bits etc or is it purely materials you charge for i.e wood, plasterboard and adhesive etc?

I mean that your pricing needs to cover the things you have to buy but your labour can be free.

If the customer is supplying the materials then you could, at the extreme, offer to do the job for nothing but that might not be the best way to give them confidence that you can do it. Make sure you have insurance though.

Btw I'm not a Tiler, I have an accounting and management consultancy background.

C

Concrete guy

For wall tiling we used to figure 6 m2 of finished work a day was a reasonable ballpark for trying to time a job.

Floor tiling you could almost throw them down on commercial jobs. I used to love tiling conservatories, sun rooms etc. particularly in stone.

M

Mr Tiler

I mean that your pricing needs to cover the things you have to buy but your labour can be free.

If the customer is supplying the materials then you could, at the extreme, offer to do the job for nothing but that might not be the best way to give them confidence that you can do it. Make sure you have insurance though.

Btw I'm not a Tiler, I have an accounting and management consultancy background.

brilliant mate thanks... yeh I think public liability is deffinately something I will need when I start out... its only £90 a year for me had a look last night. thanks again

T

Time's Ran Out

Cheers guys! It took me 2 days to do a 8 mtr concrete kitchen floor with 600 by 300 porcelain tiles!!The floor seemed flat when I checked. I seem to be putting the first row on fine but then somehow end up building up the next 2 rows and back buttering to make them flat. Then get to a point where if I continued the tiles would be way to high? about an inch ? I used 3 bags of spf and seem to get this problem a lot and not sure what i'm doing wrong?

Hope your charging per metre because the customer shouldn't be paying for your inexperience!
8m kitchen floor is a days work at most and 3 bags of SPF is a bag too much.

M

Mr Tiler

Hope your charging per metre because the customer shouldn't be paying for your inexperience!
8m kitchen floor is a days work at most and 3 bags of SPF is a bag too much.

so what do you suggest? mins the one bag of spf and add a bag of slc?

J

J Sid

T, when pricing a job i can see the best way to set out, walls or floor, straight away. (almost every time) comes with experience. You could take the measurements of the room, take them home and draw it out. Helps you price and if you get the job will save some time on day one.

J

J Sid

2020. Sounds like you need a set of levels, check floor before you start and to use when laying. A level is a straight edge with a little bubble in the middle.

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Keep an eye on your adhesive mix also , you want to keep a good consistency with the mix , I tend to use a 10 to 12 mm square notched trowel on most floors and tile types !

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Up to 2000m2..... :)

Reply to Average meterage per day?? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks