Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Ardex primer ? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bd10ner

Hi guys

posted a while back about tiling my nephews bathroom after putting plasterboard up, anyway i've put the board up
(normal board) and it is now ready for tiling, i have bought some sbr but a builder in local said i mustn't use sbr
as a primer for tiling onto ? Instead buy a proper primer that the tile adhesive will adhere too and not fall off in
due time ?

Can't remember name but but sounded like ardex...i know it isn't ardex but sounded like that, can anyone advise as i wish to start tiling at the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Good evening - if it's unskimmed plasterboard I'd be of the opinion that they need no priming other than to clean any dust off with a dry/damp sponge. The only issue I'd ask you to raise is the type of adhesive you would use and the size of the tiles to be fixed - for weight limits. Also whether you feel the need to waterproof the wet areas prior to tiling either around the bath or shower area. Ardex (Ardurit) is a very good adhesive and if the tiles are less than 30x30cm you may be able to use one of their waterproof tubbed adhesives which I believe have a primer additive.
Good luck, enjoy and don't forget the pictures.

B

bd10ner

The tiles will be 300x200, i'm not 100% sure if the plasterboard needs priming, i was under the impression that being in the bath/shower area the board would need proofing becuase it's only normal board and not Aquapanel ?, i was advised to use sbr on the walls then affix
board and then prime the board with sbr prior to fitting tiles ?, if anyone can advise me on best adhesive for tiles then i'm more than
willing to listen.
The entire bathroom is being tiled apart from floor, i think my nephew will be in for a shock when i tell him £200 will only get him an handful of the tiles he's wanting...lol

Reply to Ardex primer ? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks