Search the forum,

Discuss All tiles have not stuck in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

G&B Bath&Tile

Not sure if I'm supposed to reply to this or if it's a new thread, but anyway's. sorry if not

I would do just that, I always recommend and do a good vaccuming and or wet sponging to any of my backer. wetting the ply a little bit will help for the ply to not suck your moisture to fast from the addy/thinset.

Of course this goes against my beliefs of laying ANY floor tiles on wood... ;-)

Brett

S

sheene222

thanks guy's as a newbie and trying my hand at tiling after being made redundant in the print trade and having just spent a bit of time on a tiling course the advice here is great...thanks again

A

ash9112000

Hi, I know its probably a bit late but I would like to give my opinion.
Its doubtful that the adhesive was to blame, too thick, too thin, too much addy not enough addy etc. Most adhesives esp bal stick like sh#t to a blanket, sometimes even under the worst conditions. It sounds to me like the problem was too consistent for it to be a slight error due to bad workmanship. There had to be something on the ply that caused the tile adhesive to either react with a substance on the board, or simply the substance was so, that the adhesive was intolerant to it. Either way, if the ply had been only slightly porous it would have been enough to create a key, which would have meant that it would have stuck for longer than a week at least. The wbp glues are mainly melamine and phelonic, some are moisture resistant whilst some are regarded as permanent. If the wbp glue had absorbed itself into the surface of the ply it would have created a barrier against the tile adhesive. The absorption of the tile adhesive into the ply would have been next to nothing. Hence the reason why its stuck well to the tile and not the ply. I hope this gives at least some resolve.

S

Superally

I'm going along with "something on the ply" The BAL man tool one look at it and new something was wrong with the ply. Re did the job with fast flex. A proper learning experience!!

M

mike walker

Like I keep saying men forget ply and use backer board its waeterproof and tile stick it it far better

G

G&B Bath&Tile

1/2" hardi backer thinsetted and screwed sure does add strength. It seems like it extremely common for you pro tilers over the big pond to lay alot of tile directly over ply. Please take no offence but I know of no tile setters here that willingly choose to lay on ply for floor tiles. I mean we know "you can" set tile over most any secure substrate, but the only professional way is to use "a true backer" "membrame" or concrete. Wonder why it seems so commonplace over there, or is it?

Brett

G

grumpygrouter

have to disagree there Grumpy they do add strength but strength is rarely required its a good tiling surface thats needed
I have not seen one backerboard manufacturer that has said their product adds strength to a floor, but I an happy to be corrected. All the information I have seen states that the floor "should be adequately braced to eliminate movement". Hardie even go so far as giving a calculation to see how much deflection is acceptable.

If you have documantation that shows otherwise, please post it on here for us all to see. Wouldn't half make life easier if that was the case.:thumbsup:

Reply to All tiles have not stuck in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen