Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice - quartz black mirror tiles ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jono400

First post here so big Hi to you all and hopefully can get some expert advice on the following -

Okay looking to buy some black quartz floor tiles for my entrance hall / downstairs toilet, wil only be requiring around 9 square metres, got some samples from " wallandfloors " and must admitt to being very impresed with the quality etc off the samples tiles, the ones we choose were the black quartz starlike tile in the 300x300x12mm size, as I say looked great but unfortunatly found that the mirror crystal effect was not that strong, appreciatte that its only one tile and that each tile and the amount off mirror effect will be different but just wonder from anyone who has fitted these can advise me just how they look when laid down with just spotlight / minimal natural lighting shining down on them ??

I also ordered a sample from " crystal stone " and this time the amount off mirror quartz was superb- ie real bling :hurray: unfortunatly the tiles were only 10mm thick and were working out much more expensive than the ones from " wall and floors ".

so okay advice to a complete beginner please ?? is there much off a difference in quality between these two tiles enough to warrant the couple off hundred more pounds that " crystal stome " are asking ?? and do the ones from " walland floors " look okay and give off enough mirror quartz effect when laid down ??

thanks guys, again any advice would be great as obviously not cheap and want to make sure I get the right one.

S

SJPurdy

I can't help with your choice of tile but if they are as i suspect a resin based tile with bits of stone incorporated then make sure you use a good quality adhesive with plenty of polymer incorporated to stick the tiles down.

J

jono400

Okay thanks got any links to where I may buy these ones you are talking about with a mirror sparkle effect ?

J

jono400

Yep gloss black granite with a strong mirror fleck sounds nice- anyone advise best / cheapest source ??

J

jono400

Okay thanks for the link, just noticed that it was a granite sample that I got from the " walls and tiles " place which again looked superb quality and at a really decent price but unfortunatly just looked a little sparse on the mirror fleck effect !!! could well even be the exact same tile as the one in your link ??

the one in the link you kindly gave, am I correct in saying that if I require enough for 9 square metres its costs me £64.39 a square metre and so it will be 9 x £64.39 ? a box contains five covering 0.47 m2

C

Concrete guy

There is a black granite with a silver fleck, it's a South African product called Cosmos or Stargate (different names for the same product).

The natural resources of this product are sporadic and supply is similar as it only occurs in one place on the planet.

There is also a product with a copper/bronze fleck previously mentioned in this thread - Star Galaxy or Black Galaxy, that's an Indian product and although that also only occurs in place on the planet, is a little more plentiful than Cosmos.

Granite will be superior to quartz in almost every respect as a flooring product. Quartz tiles are far better suited to decorative (wall tile) purposes.

I also don't recommend fitting anything thinner than 15mm on a floor of you go for quartz.

J

jono400

Okay thanks gets more confsing by the minute- sorry no offence its just me being a complete numpty !!

you say you dont recommend fitting anything thinner than 15mm on a floor for quartz tiles, are the majority on sale not 10 or 12mm in thickness ?

again really do appreciatte the excellent advice being given, as I say just looking for a nice gloss black tile with a nice silver - mirror fleck effect for the entrance hall / small downstairs toilet off the house.

C

Concrete guy

you say you dont recommend fitting anything thinner than 15mm on a floor for quartz tiles, are the majority on sale not 10 or 12mm in thickness ?

10mm and 12mm are really only meant to be used for wall tiling.

15mm is far more structurally stable.

Reply to Advice - quartz black mirror tiles ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks