Discuss A year in the life of a new Tiler. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mart08

Well done Sean for hanging in there through those hard times. I myself have not quite finished my first year but think I've been lucky with the amount of work I've had, don't get me wrong there has been times when my booked in work has been coming to an end and the phones not been ringing for a week or so.:yikes: Then all of a sudden the thing just keeps ringing.:thumbsup: The satisfaction you get when a job is finished and you see the customers face is priceless.:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin: Keep up the good work mate and good luck for 2009.

M

mikethetile

hi sean

thank you for that honest appraisal of your first year

we know it well

it is hard mate ,its very hard to get started but it does get easier as you go on.

i dont think the situation changes much but you change and grow as a person

i think you have done very well to achieve so much in a short time

we look forward to the sequel "the second year as a not so new tiler"

you have my respect and im sure you will make it as a first class tradesman and businessman

mike :thumbsup:

D

dc tiling

congratulations sean on hanging on in there, i myself am just about to start out and it was nice to read someones take on their first year.
best of luck for the future

P

P'boro tiler

thanks for the honest story! keep at it! just dont tile over stuff your not happy with again, your knocking yourself down etc

i started out as a tiler and decorator. i was trained by BAl and my first job took far too long but it was a good job and i got paid. i then did a few normal old kitchens etc etc and things were going well. i made about 7 grand in then last 5 months of 2007 (my first 5 months of tiling/decorating).
I then broke my leg really badly in Jan 08 and couldnt work for 6 months. I lost my good reliable sources or work and it went down hill from there. ok i did a few great jobs but people seemed to want to pay me less at the end of the job etc. the credit crunch then came and i really struggled, i nearly ended up getting divorced because my wife couldnt handle the stress.
i also had some bad luck like on one job, a plumber accused me of destroying a bath, a £170 tap snapped off when i tocuhed it with my hand and the plumbers mate left plaster all over the bath and i got the blame! he even threatend to take me to court but fortunately i had moved house :hurray:.... so i had had ENOUGH and packed it in and fortunately got a job as a decorator and am on **** pay but oh well.

Since packing it in i have had a heck of a lot of calls from companies asking me to do more work for them! one of them is from a builder who i laid 53m2 of travertine for.

my main error of my ways was that i packed in the decorating business to focus on tiling just when tiling work dried up. if i had kept doing both i could of chosen to only do good tilign jobs and i wouldnt be where i am now

i know i made more money than sean but thats not what matters at the start, what matters is that he's improving and getting there! id rather be in his shoes

so the moral of the storey: dont brake a limb when things are going right

P

psychowitch

Im the same been up and running for about 18 months now..decided to change career right at the start of the recession..so im looking at it as the only way is UP! Its fecking tough hard work..and you never get the costs right ... if I had any hair I spent most of the time pulling it out..but that said..Im really enjoying working for myself and love it when the customers are pleased with my work...I worked in LOndon (city) for 20 years! wouldnt change back (well unless I was offered mega bucks to sit on my arse all day )...

A

Aqua Tiling

thank you so much allowing people like me who are just starting out, to get a insight of a year as a tiler. it aint as easy it seems, but work at it and it will work for you. any more stories or tips you have, ill be happy to read. :8:

T

Towers62

Hi Sean

Great post.

I am just starting out myself so found this most helpful.

Look forward to more posts on how you get on.

Cheers

:thumbsup:
Mick

A

albyshellshear

this post has convinced me to take a plumbing course lol :oops:great informative read keep up the good work mate :thumbsup:

Reply to A year in the life of a new Tiler. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks