Discuss 1st floor wetroom adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, i've done some searching and cant really find the specific answer.

Im currently in the process of renovating my 1st floor shower room, and looking to create a bit of a wetroom. I've researched this to death, and pretty clear on what i need to do, but looking for advice on the correct adhesive. Looks like i need (or its my easiest avaliable quility adhesive) Keraquick S1.

I've had to lift the existing 22mm chipboard floor since it was badly fitted (no glue, 2 screws per board) and creeked like mad. I've lifted the lot, installed noggins on every join, glued and screwed down at around 150mm centres and the floor now feels very solid and something good to build from.

I have 10mm xps board to screw down, also a 1500x900 xps wetroom tray, and intend to fit 300x300mm poreclain tiles over electric heating mat

Question is, should i use S1 adhesive both under the XPS boards and above, or being wooden subfloor with heating etc, should i be looking for an S2 adhesive throughout?

cheers for any assistance.

Al

Reaction score
Next thing. I knew this might be a thing, but not sure how best address.

Floooring is 22mm and the tray is 30mm, so now sitting 8mm proud of the floor. I’ve already bought 10mm XPS boards, reason being the main floor is chipboard, and wanted a bit better than 6mm.

I also have electric ufh to go in.

What would be the best option?

1, 6mm xps board under the tray to give +14mm. This will be 4mm proud of the rest of the floor, so gives a little room for the ufh. Maybe use slc to embed the ufh and give perfect height. How does this work with tanking if I have a height difference with XPs boards?

2, bite the bullet and swap 10mm boards for 6mm. 6mil boards will be plenty enough for solid 22mm flooring?

3, 4mm ply under the tray will give +12mm. 2mm left for the ufh, and could be filled/back buttered and should work well level wise going over onto the tray?

What would you do?

DF70280B-ACE0-45B8-B405-A5B612281D24.jpeg

S

Spare Tool

So we're talking two mm difference...simplest way would be to use a ten or even 12 mm notched trowel to bed the tray into an S1 adhesive and 6mm trowel of same adhesive under your boards, screw and washer everything down, fit ufh, slc over ufh and feather down into tray, tank and tile..

Reaction score
Hi Andy, maybe i've been over thinking it! Sounds like a plan!

a couple questions (possibly stubid ones)

regarding tanking. If using an SLC over the floor, i guess i dont need to tank anything prior to the SLC. Tanking will all be on top, and as far as a sealing strip goes, i only need to do the perimeter of the tray.

Feathering to the edge of the tray. will these be managageable using SLC without the need for any sort of shuttering. I've never used SLC before :)

Al

Reply to 1st floor wetroom adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks