Search the forum,

Discuss What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

aspley

I was originally thinking for floor tiles actually but I suppose wall tiles come in to play too. White star would be excellent for walling providing the thickness of the bed isn't above it's maximum. Which I think isn't actually too thick at all.
Hi Dan.............was looking at this post for advice on best adhesive for large format 900 x 300 ceramic tile to go onto skimmed plasterboard. Weight is circa 16kg per sq metre. Do I need a primer.
Was looking at Dunlop setfast plus or Mapei Kerafix maxi or a Vitra product. All very confusing!!

D

doug boardley

Hi Dan.............was looking at this post for advice on best adhesive for large format 900 x 300 ceramic tile to go onto skimmed plasterboard. Weight is circa 16kg per sq metre. Do I need a primer.
Was looking at Dunlop setfast plus or Mapei Kerafix maxi or a Vitra product. All very confusing!!
you will definitely need an acrylic primer if p/boards are skimmed (gypsum and cementitious addy's should always be primed!) but a single part flexi adhesive will bring you right up to the bearable weight for a skimmed wall

S

stevep1

the technical info on the palce web site, regarding their tilers' primer, claims that it's a S B R and suitable for priming gypsum plaster before tiling with a cement based adhesive. I have had a recent failure with this and have since read that maybe i should have used an A P D primer.Confused and fed up now. Been tiling many years. Feel like i know less now than when i started. WE used to PVA EVERYTHING AND JUST TILE. Any advice welcome.

D

DHTiling

SBR is Ok for priming and Only BAL make APD, so why would anyone recommend that to use with palace adhesives..?

What failure did you have..?

S

stevep1

all the tiles in a marble bathroom 600 x 400 tiles. and all the tiles in another bath room. 900 x 400. ceramic came off when de pegged. the walls were primed and single part flexy was used , as i have done thousands of times before. have since tested other adhesives and primers and even not priming and cant get a tile to stick. they come off clean not leaving a mark on the wall. have sanded walls back . tried everything. thing is a length of trim i put on with white star tub gear stuck like you know what. shame i cant use it on such large tiles.

T

Tecnik2000

And I thought it was a contest :mad2: Thanks for an answer Dan!! I've used many different adhesives..Each one on it's own volition, powder is great..But then? The correctly suitable solution often has a choice

Reply to What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen