Search the forum,

Discuss What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're using large format tiles you will need to use a thick-bed tile adhesive. A thick-bed tile adhesive will have 'filler's in it or a coarse sand to help it bond and cure correctly without shrinkage and cracking.

Using the wrong tile adhesive and tiling trowel for large format tiling can cause tiles to not be bonded and eventually become un-fixed.

S

Smiths

Admin said:
If you're using large format tiles you will need to use a thick-bed tile adhesive. A thick-bed tile adhesive will have 'filler's in it or a coarse sand to help it bond and cure correctly without shrinkage and cracking.

Using the wrong tile adhesive and tiling trowel for large format tiling can cause tiles to not be bonded and eventually become un-fixed.
Thick bed? Do you mean a cement-based adhesive?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Often cement based yes. A thick-bed tile adhesive such as BAL's 'pourable thick bed' can cure and not shrink even when applied at thicknesses far higher than the industry minimum for floors which I think is 3mm?

Other adhesives that can cure at thicknesses include those with polymer additives in them already or two-part mixes can sometimes also withstand a thickbed which can help you when you're looking for a tile adhesive suitable for large format tiles.

S

Smiths

Admin said:
Often cement based yes. A thick-bed tile adhesive such as BAL's 'pourable thick bed' can cure and not shrink even when applied at thicknesses far higher than the industry minimum for floors which I think is 3mm?

Other adhesives that can cure at thicknesses include those with polymer additives in them already or two-part mixes can sometimes also withstand a thickbed which can help you when you're looking for a tile adhesive suitable for large format tiles.
Well, my solution is a bit simpler...cement-based for large format wall tiles and tub gear for normal tiles.
Why did I think this was about wall tiling?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's just about tiling in general really, I don't think the pourable thickbed adhesive by BAL will work on walls though. :p

H

Harry the tiler

me i only use powder on walls (white) and floors (grey), tub gear is crap in comparison and powder can be mixed to your own consistancy..

S

Smiths

Harry the tiler said:
me i only use powder on walls (white) and floors (grey), tub gear is crap in comparison and powder can be mixed to your own consistancy..
I disagree, Mapei D1 is fantastic tub gear.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I was originally thinking for floor tiles actually but I suppose wall tiles come in to play too. White star would be excellent for walling providing the thickness of the bed isn't above it's maximum. Which I think isn't actually too thick at all.

Reply to What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen