Search the forum,

Discuss What adhesive and grout for hearth tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tilerjon

First post.

I'm a DIYer and have tiled a couple of bathrooms.

However we're restoring real fireplaces in an Edwardian house and have decided to lay glazed hearth tiles on the concrete constructional hearth. Can anyone suggest a suitable adhesive and grout to use bearing in mind there will be a coal fire burning in the grate.

Because of the size of the mantlepiece and aesthetics I want to take the tiles just over the edge of the constructional hearth and onto the floorboards. The constructional hearth is flush with the boards. The area to all the side of the hearth has a joist so the boards dont seem to move but is it likely to cause a problem and can I use the same adhesive as over the concrete.

Thanks

D

DHTiling

You won't be able to bridge on to the floor boards.. expansion will be an issue there..

As for adhesive then a modified rapid set and grout will suffice..

T

tilerjon

Excuse my ignorance but what is a modified rapid set and grout?

I understand the bridging issue but what if I had one whole tile on the concrete and one on the timber so the boundary between the two was grouted over. Would the grout crack and even if it could I patch it up?

Thnaks

B

brinkley

youmay get away with a 2 part adhesive between the boards and the cretehow big are the tiles??

Reply to What adhesive and grout for hearth tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen