Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss wetroom materials - best make to use in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

ballandco

Hello everyone havenet posted anything before so thanks in advance to any help.
I have been tiling 10 years since left school and have been on my own last year and a half.I am starting to get a few more enquires for wet room installations ,just wanted to know what materials you use ,i normally use wedi trays and boards etc but was wondering if there is a cheaper way of doing this as its quite deer and think this is why i have missed out on previous works

was thinking of using 18mm ply on floor like usuall
but buying a cheaper tray and waste 40mm (any suggestions on others you have used)
using hardibacker rather than 40mm wedi boards on floor
using hardibacker rather than 10mm wedi boards on wall

also i usually tape joints using there sealant and thats it,I have heard other people tanking the whole area is that because they use hardibacker or is it just an extra precautions

anyways let us know
cheers :smilewinkgrin:

B

bugs183

Hiya Balland.
The words 'cheap' and 'wetroom' are two that should never be said together!!!!
The way that we build in the Uk can be quite a problem for wet room installations, so you have to make sure that the job you do creating the wetroom is as good as possible, water will find any weakspots in your tanking, then you have unhappy customers, and then you have the agro of reinstating everything, which if the water has got at could be an awful job.
I tank and tape everywhere, if they don't like the price and want me to cut corners i refuse to do the job, simple. I personally don't see what the appeal is about them any way!!!
I like the Schluter system, everything seems to work well. Marmox boarding is really good too as this is waterproof and only needs taping. Check 'insulation express' for prices, they well organised, and the deliveries are spot on.

Q

Qwerty

Welcome

I can concur that wet room and cheap are not compatible

I tend to favour Marmox as I can source it cheap locally and it is great to work with and very versatile. Orbry seem good, but yet to try them out. Mapei Mapegum & Mapeband for me on joints. Ditra if the situation arises though

I am a little confused by your post (and forgive me if I have read into it too much) but how much experience do you have in wet room installations? If you have installed wet rooms before then you will know why some people tank the whole area or some just the joints. There are so many variables such as materials used in the tanking process, which type of tiles to be fixed, size & weight of tiles to be fixed, if UFH is present or not..... the list go's on.

I see you joined the forum in 2009, but only posted today. I am assuming this is a hypothetical question for the benefit of other forum users rather than asking for advice yourself?

Reaction score
Good morning

I agree as well that cutting corners and settling for a cheap wetroom can be a dangerous route. We have manufactured floor formers and waterproof tanking for 15 years and I would be more than happy to discuss our products in more detail if you wish.

It's very encouraging to hear that you see a rise in wetroom requests - this echoes our research and current market understanding.

Best Regards
Neil, from Impey

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Agree with Blocko. The Marmox boards are lovely to work with, light and easy to cut. For joints I've used the Schluter Keba tape as it does a good job but is cheaper than the Mapeband

B

ballandco

Thanks for thoughts , it's good to see other people are doing same ,blocko it was a question to see if all on the same page,didn't want to be pricing myself out of works.thanks impey next 1 I quote are get in contact with you.

Reply to wetroom materials - best make to use in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks