Discuss Wetroom Advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

DavieA

TF
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice re wetroom installation. I have completed a few wet rooms and have tended to install wedi shower tray and boards on the floor and cover joints with waterproof tape. The walls tend to be plasterboard. Generally following install of floor /tray i tank both within the wet area.

So my question is whats best if the walls are plastered, would i be able to install floor as per usual, apply tanking over skimmed walls and floor to provide the appropriate protection or should i fix wedi boards to wall with mechanical fixings/washers and tank?

Cheers

Dave

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I use Ardex WPC for my waterproofing. You can use it over skimmed walls.
Available at ctd for a reasonable price.

Install your tray as you would. The WPC kit comes with mesh tape for corners and joins.

If your walls are skimmed plasterboard, what are you fixing? Ceramic, porcelain, stone? Dependant on weight psm you may need to overboard with a backer.

DavieA

TF
Reaction score
Ali, cheers for the info. I wasnt 100% sure whether it was a good idea to tank over plaster skim.

Tile customer is looking at is 600x300 porcelain, weight was also a concern of mine but only tiling 1.8m high.

DavieA

TF
Reaction score
Defo, I do like the wedi boards and once screwed into the stud not only gives way to the weight issue but also very stable for use in a wetroom. Once the boards are installed and tanked, i think its as good as you can get.

I think the customer would like to tile over plastered wall to keep cost down.

Reply to Wetroom Advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay