Search the forum,

Discuss Weight ratios in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tjsmiler

Hi all

I understand all the weight ratios regarding plasterboard and plaster etc but i was just wondering............... plasterboard can hold 32kg per sm but what if the plasterboard has been dry-lined and the plaster adhesive is rubbish and hasn't bonded very well to wall behind it, is there a possibility of the plasterboard coming off the wall or better still has anybody ever been in a situation where the plasterboard has come away from the wall due to the weight of the tiles on it??

Is there any ways of testing how strongly plasterboard is actuall bonded to the wall? am just curious

Cheers

L

Leatherface

Pull it off - if it comes off easily then it has not been stuck very well !!

Actually I don't think so - If the plaseerboard falls off with the tiles still stuck to it, then you are in the clear - don't worry about it

T

trevortine

I just done one last week mate, ripped out the whole bathroom back to studs and only one wall had to be dot dabbed. I use the gyproc adhesive for this and i tell you it is ace. Next day the wall was solid and had a really good solid feel to it. No way it was coming off!

L

L & R CERAMICS

now this is a good subject ,if this has been applied to areas that have had 10 million layers of paint it does not work ,from past experiences in this trade ive known the board adhesive to dry and not adhere to the second layer of paint so when you apply your extra wheight the board loses its rigid feel and can be moved also in damp areas

T

tjsmiler

Trev..... when you get a job where the old tiles need to be removed and they have been fixed to plasterboard would you remove plasterboard with old tiles still attached mate? or do you get the SDS out as per usuall?

Saw your phot's by the way mate............ Superb :wink_smile: left me completley jelous

TJ

T

tjsmiler

L & R,,, intesting point mate. Does that mean then that if you are dry lining a wall that has been painted a few times it is best to strip it first and charge the customer accordingly?

TJ

L

L & R CERAMICS

not really,youve got two options ,make the customer aware of your thoughts and suggest the correct method to rectify and see if they want to pay to do it properly and if they dont ,get something on paper to suggest you have made them aware of the problem and you can not guarantee this work as you know the possibility of it coming away from the wall is inevitable,at the end of the day kiddo you either want a reputation or you just want the money

T

tjsmiler

L & R............. was just checking some of my old threads and noticed that i never said thanks for your advise on this one mate.....sorry bud i thought i had thanked you. It turned out to be very usefull info and has held me in good stead on a few jobs since, not to mention how much time i save now i make the customer aware each time of potential pit falls.

So thanks a lot mate :wink_smile:

TJ

B

brian c

L&R,if you primed the walls properly and scored them would the gyproc adhesive not take to this mate?

JUST ASKING NOT MEANT OFFENSIVELY M8!

Reply to Weight ratios in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Seems alot of talk that 20kg per mtr2 is the max weight limit for plaster. Few questions 1. its...
Replies
Views
Hi folks I'm getting limestone cladding applied to an external wall and I need to make a choice...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen