Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Wedi Board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tay1974

Just been to the health club to look at the job before I quote. They want me to quote them for two jobs. This is for two changing/shower areas with a total sq meter of 105 sq m.

The first quote they want is to remove all the old grout and re-grout and change any damaged tiles. Basically the old grout has gone yellow and they therefore want it looks nice and new again. I have suggested they use Bal Microban grount.

The second job is to re-tile the complete changing rooms including the floor tiles.

As I stated before, they advise me that the background is Wedi and therefore, I guess I will need to either remove the old Wedi board and replace with new or is it possible to just tank over the old Wedi board and re-tile over the top.

Also I have never removed old grout, is this an easy task or difficult and time consuming?

Thanks
Paul

Hi Everyone,

I have been asked to quote a health club to re-tile there mens and ladies toilets and changing rooms. Nice first job hopefully!!!

They have advised me that the background is Wedi board which I think is good news.

Can you advise me if the Wedi board will be ok once the old tiles are removed so that I can tile straight back onto the old Wedi board, or will I need to replace all the old Wedi board?

Can you also advise me if the old Wedi board should be tanked in the shower area or is the Wedi board waterproof and therefore does not need tanking?

Thanks for your help
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi mate only used wedi board once and was also removing tiles from it,,i think you will have to replace it as it will most probably break up if the tiles are well fixed.

D

DHTiling

Firstly wedi is water tight if taped at joints BUT if it is already tiled then pulling the existing tiling off will deffo wreck it...

Any idea what size tile is going back on coz there is a cheaper way than wedi..

L

Leatherface

The wedi board will need replacing !!
Pulling tiles off it will destroy the board !

T

tay1974

I only received the call today to go and quote, and will be seeing the area for the first time tomorrow. Once I get more details I will add to my post.

I thought the Wedi board might get too damaged with teh tile removal.

Thanks for your post
Paul

T

tay1974

Just been to the health club to look at the job before I quote. They want me to quote them for two jobs. This is for two changing/shower areas with a total sq meter of 105 sq m.

The first quote they want is to remove all the old grout and re-grout and change any damaged tiles. Basically the old grout has gone yellow and they therefore want it looks nice and new again. I have suggested they use Bal Microban grount.

The second job is to re-tile the complete changing rooms including the floor tiles.

As I stated before, they advise me that the background is Wedi and therefore, I guess I will need to either remove the old Wedi board and replace with new or is it possible to just tank over the old Wedi board and re-tile over the top.

Also I have never removed old grout, is this an easy task or difficult and time consuming?

Thanks
Paul

R

Rob Z

Paul,

We have used almost 4 pallets of Wedi (total 200 sheets), but never have had to get a tile off the surface. Like the others, I suspect that would tear the coating off and expose the core (assuming a good bond was made with the tile to the Wedi).

What does Wedi cost in the UK? Here in the US, the price ranges from ~$30 to $35 a sheet.

Removing grout: I haven't done it yet with my new Fein Multimaster tool, but I bet it goes quiclkly with one of the blades they sell for removing grout. Before I had the Fein MM, we used a thing called a Grout Grabber, which goes on a sawzall. Not as much control, and too much worry about damaging the tile.

Last edited by a moderator:

2Balls

Hi, When you remove the tiles the top renforced layer will come of.When the Widi board is 2cm or3cm thick and is still a firm substrate, you could go over with 6mm wedi using a flex adhesive, in a full bed. then tape it up. :8:2Balls

T

tay1974

Is it possible that when I remove the tiles any damage to the Wedi boards could be skimmed over with using a cement based adhesive and then tanked using something like BAL WP1?

At the moment it sounds like I may have to replace all the Wedi boards with new ones.

2Balls

Is it possible that when I remove the tiles any damage to the Wedi boards could be skimmed over with using a cement based adhesive and then tanked using something like BAL WP1?

At the moment it sounds like I may have to replace all the Wedi boards with new ones.

How thick is the original Wedi? Is it set in a full bed?Or are they dot and dabbed? Are they Dübbled(Screwed to the wall,Wedi system).
Maybe It would be better to put a price it up making everything new!!?
Its also possible to renew with 1cm wedi using Rotband (haft Plaster, Knauf) or a Flexible Adhesive , full Bed,tape up,lay tiles next day.
It is possible to Skim the original wedi, but use a plastic mesh to reinforce it.If you use an adhesive with Trass cement in it,tanking would be over the top.Trass is water repelant!But tape the corners!
Hope this helps, materials here are a little different!

:smilewinkgrin:2Balls

R

Rob Z

Paul

one thing I just thought about....beware if you are doing a demo and the Wedi was installed with the proprietary sealant/adhesive**. We did a steam shower about two years ago, and one day we had to remove a piece for some reason (don't remember why), and the Wedi glue that we used on the studs had a tenacious bond and it was a real PITA to deal with.:mad2:

**assuming it is the same stuff sold over here...some sort of polyurethane sealant/adhesive.

2Balls

Paul

one thing I just thought about....beware if you are doing a demo and the Wedi was installed with the proprietary sealant/adhesive**. We did a steam shower about two years ago, and one day we had to remove a piece for some reason (don't remember why), and the Wedi glue that we used on the studs had a tenacious bond and it was a real PITA to deal with.:mad2:

**assuming it is the same stuff sold over here...some sort of polyurethane sealant/adhesive.

Hi RobZ, I think he`s going directly to the wall and not on to Stud work.I hope. If not what i wrote before is toilet paper!!:smilewinkgrin:2Balls

R

Rob Z

Hi 2Balls :smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

You're right, Paul didn't say studs behind the Wedi.....we are all so used to stud framing here that I didn't think of anything else. :thumbsup:

Reply to Wedi Board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks