Search the forum,

Discuss Wedi Board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tay1974

Just been to the health club to look at the job before I quote. They want me to quote them for two jobs. This is for two changing/shower areas with a total sq meter of 105 sq m.

The first quote they want is to remove all the old grout and re-grout and change any damaged tiles. Basically the old grout has gone yellow and they therefore want it looks nice and new again. I have suggested they use Bal Microban grount.

The second job is to re-tile the complete changing rooms including the floor tiles.

As I stated before, they advise me that the background is Wedi and therefore, I guess I will need to either remove the old Wedi board and replace with new or is it possible to just tank over the old Wedi board and re-tile over the top.

Also I have never removed old grout, is this an easy task or difficult and time consuming?

Thanks
Paul

Hi Everyone,

I have been asked to quote a health club to re-tile there mens and ladies toilets and changing rooms. Nice first job hopefully!!!

They have advised me that the background is Wedi board which I think is good news.

Can you advise me if the Wedi board will be ok once the old tiles are removed so that I can tile straight back onto the old Wedi board, or will I need to replace all the old Wedi board?

Can you also advise me if the old Wedi board should be tanked in the shower area or is the Wedi board waterproof and therefore does not need tanking?

Thanks for your help
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi mate only used wedi board once and was also removing tiles from it,,i think you will have to replace it as it will most probably break up if the tiles are well fixed.

D

DHTiling

Firstly wedi is water tight if taped at joints BUT if it is already tiled then pulling the existing tiling off will deffo wreck it...

Any idea what size tile is going back on coz there is a cheaper way than wedi..

L

Leatherface

The wedi board will need replacing !!
Pulling tiles off it will destroy the board !

T

tay1974

I only received the call today to go and quote, and will be seeing the area for the first time tomorrow. Once I get more details I will add to my post.

I thought the Wedi board might get too damaged with teh tile removal.

Thanks for your post
Paul

T

tay1974

Just been to the health club to look at the job before I quote. They want me to quote them for two jobs. This is for two changing/shower areas with a total sq meter of 105 sq m.

The first quote they want is to remove all the old grout and re-grout and change any damaged tiles. Basically the old grout has gone yellow and they therefore want it looks nice and new again. I have suggested they use Bal Microban grount.

The second job is to re-tile the complete changing rooms including the floor tiles.

As I stated before, they advise me that the background is Wedi and therefore, I guess I will need to either remove the old Wedi board and replace with new or is it possible to just tank over the old Wedi board and re-tile over the top.

Also I have never removed old grout, is this an easy task or difficult and time consuming?

Thanks
Paul

R

Rob Z

Paul,

We have used almost 4 pallets of Wedi (total 200 sheets), but never have had to get a tile off the surface. Like the others, I suspect that would tear the coating off and expose the core (assuming a good bond was made with the tile to the Wedi).

What does Wedi cost in the UK? Here in the US, the price ranges from ~$30 to $35 a sheet.

Removing grout: I haven't done it yet with my new Fein Multimaster tool, but I bet it goes quiclkly with one of the blades they sell for removing grout. Before I had the Fein MM, we used a thing called a Grout Grabber, which goes on a sawzall. Not as much control, and too much worry about damaging the tile.

Last edited by a moderator:

2Balls

Hi, When you remove the tiles the top renforced layer will come of.When the Widi board is 2cm or3cm thick and is still a firm substrate, you could go over with 6mm wedi using a flex adhesive, in a full bed. then tape it up. :8:2Balls

Reply to Wedi Board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen