Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Wax on a tumbled marble floor, how long does it last? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
A long post and not tile but I hope someone can help, I'm trying to get some decent information about how long the effects of waxing a floor last on tumbled marble.
Tumbled marble marble, so it's obviously a matt finish. You get some wax on the floor, domestic house, not a huge footfall. How long would you expect before the colours begin to fade, losing the effect of the wax? The floor would not have been sealed.
If you left a tumbled marble floor that had been waxed alone, is there a natural process in which the effect of the wax fades?

The reason I ask is this; Roman mosaic floors would have been set and then had the surface ground down, it seems mostly just smoothing off, as if it were tumbled marble. I do not think many carried on past that stage until the floor got a polished effect. Logic dictates they used a type of wax though we have no evidence what. There is such a variance though in finish, some still have the colour up, others are very faded. Some of the faded ones are in museums so the surface would be clean.

Most Roman floors you see here in the UK now look very dull, the colours are very washed out. Yes I realise 2,000 years can have a bit of effect but I read this statement from an academic and they said;
'They’re as brightly colored now as they were 2,000 years ago. Mosaics are made of stone and glass, which fade hardly at all'.

Some floors still have their colour but the mostly the colours are dull, why the difference I don't know. I have asked some restorers I know why there would be this difference and am waiting on any replies.

Thanks.

D

Dumbo

What is the main point of your question . Is it how can you leave a floor between rewaxing .

T

Time's Ran Out

All marble will fade when exposed to the elements. Those that have retained their colour will have been covered by earth or fallen buildings in the 1600 years since the Romans left having ruled in Britain from 43 AD .
From what I understand the mosaics were ground and polished rather than waxed.

OP
Musivarius
Reaction score
All marble will fade when exposed to the elements. Those that have retained their colour will have been covered by earth or fallen buildings in the 1600 years since the Romans left having ruled in Britain from 43 AD .
From what I understand the mosaics were ground and polished rather than waxed.
There are a number of different finishes that I have seen. Some are ground smooth so the surface is perfectly flat, mostly though I have seen ones where the edges are not flush to the surface which made me think of wax as opposed to polishing them fully.

Reply to Wax on a tumbled marble floor, how long does it last? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock