Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Water Underfloor Heating - Concrete Prep? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

PaulJohnson

I have just had water underfloor heating fitted in my kitchen. The surface is now concrete and is very dusty.
I am wanting eventually tile the floor, but for the time being I want to limit the dust created by the concrete.
Is there a product (primer?) that I can use to seal the dust and also help the tile adhesive adhere when the tiles are laid?
Any other advise with regards to tiling over water UFH would also be great.

Cheers
Paul

G

Gazzer

Yes you can use a tile primer such as Mapei Primer G.
As for tiling you may want to consider an uncoupling membrane before fixing tiles. Although not strictly neccessary its my 1st choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Bal primer/APD will keep the dust down and prepare it for tiling.

Use a flexible adhesive and grout.......weather you use an uncoupling membrane or not :thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

in brief Paul, it allows the tiled floor to be independent of any structural movement of your substrate, so these deflections etc are not transfered to your tiles and resulting in cracking,heave and unbonding of your tiles

G

Grace'sDad

in brief Paul, it allows the tiled floor to be independent of any structural movement of your substrate, so these deflections etc are not transfered to your tiles and resulting in cracking,heave and unbonding of your tiles

Sorry to correct this Doug, but I'm pretty sure it is only really lateral (sideways) movement i.e. expansion and contraction which it is designed to isolate. Floors still need to be strong and free of deflection.
I guess the cushioning effect of a Ditra-like membrane will help a little though.

Reply to Water Underfloor Heating - Concrete Prep? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks