Discuss Under tile heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jimbo1980

Hi

I am going to put UFH in my bathroom. The floor is wooden with cork tiles on top that are very well fixed is this ok to lay the UFH straight on top ? I will then tile on top using 8mm slate tiles. The bathroom is small, Iv read that cable instead of matting UFH would be best, the area is about 2M squared ?

Thanks

J

Jimbo1980

Thanks but i really dont want to unless i have to as they re very well fixed what would be the benefit ?

D

david campbell

your floor height will be about 20mm higher than previous if you dont remove them,would also check with aaron at u_heat to make sure it is safe to lay ufh on top of cork tiles!:thumbsup:

U

Uheat

This is not a regular question we get asked and the best solution would be to as suggested take up and overboard the floor first. Rather than Ply you could use our 10mm Thermopanel http://www.tilersforums.com/electric-underfloor-heating/19750-what-great-deal.html

How are the cork tiles stuck down?

If stuck down using a solvent based adhesive then the heat could cause the tiles to come loose!!

If you want to keep the tiles down i think you best option would be to overboard the cork with a min of 6mm Thermal Construction board. Underfloor Heating | Floor Insulation | Uheat

Another thing to think about which is not my area...Is there a Tile adhesive that will stick to cork?

Loose wire is generally better in smaller awkward shaped rooms or with a lot of obsticles in the way.

Please have a look at www.uheat.co.uk for some great products and prices or give me a call on 07887 545757 and i will talk thru things with you

hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
D

david campbell

can't think of any adhesive that would work with cork due to the absorbancy of the stuff,i wouldn't lay on top of them myself but you could look at using an acrylic primer and contacting an information line of one of the major suppliers!

W

wetdec

Remove cork / Fix 10/12mm ply or replace with 22mm ply (1 piece) / fix ufh cable / level / tile...:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Cork tiles need to be removed you dont always need tile backing boards sometimes underfloor heating companies sell them as an extra when they are not needed. Try talking to <REMOVED ADVERTISING> tell them your from the tile forum for extra discount.

Although this thread is over 3 months old are you advising this member to remove the cork tiles and tile on what? - the floorboards.
Why would an underfloor heating co. advise tile backing boards if not needed. Thermopanel would obviously be a good product to use in this case, as a insulation/backer board ,and every thread IMO should be treated on its own merits. :thumbsup:

Timeless John.

B

bert&ernie

Although this thread is over 3 months old are you advising this member to remove the cork tiles and tile on what? - the floorboards.
Why would an underfloor heating co. advise tile backing boards if not needed. Thermopanel would obviously be a good product to use in this case, as a insulation/backer board ,and every thread IMO should be treated on its own merits. :thumbsup:

Timeless John.

Well said!!:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Dan - I've lost me marbles again.

I'am replying to something that's gone! (paulmoto)
Just as well I used a quote otherwise I'd have to sign up to that old tilers farm.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

Reply to Under tile heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks