Discuss Tile size difference in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

I am about to start work on my first big tiling project in my ensuite. We have chosen some 250 x 500 tiles however for the end wall inside the shower we decided to go for a 'decor' tile which has a wavy ridges as opposed to the flat standard tile that is going to be used for the rest of the room. The tiles are from the same range however the decor tile is not true to size and is 1mm higher and 2mm longer. I dont think the length be an issue but the height will mean that the grout line wont line up properly on the adjacent wall.

Can anyone give any advice on how I can get around this issue?.

Thanks

gamer1

-
Reaction score
Dealing with slightly different-sized tiles can be a bit tricky, but it's definitely manageable. Here are a few suggestions:

Blend the Tiles: When you install the tiles, try mixing the decor tiles with the regular tiles in a way that distributes the size difference across the whole wall. This can help minimize the noticeable variations.

Border or Transition: You could create a decorative border or transition strip between the two types of tiles. This can serve both as an aesthetic element and a practical solution to the size difference.

Trim or Bullnose: Consider using tile trim or bullnose tiles to edge the decor tiles. This can help create a clean transition and hide the difference in height.

Grout Adjustment: Depending on the size difference, you may need to adjust the grout line slightly to make it look more even. A professional tiler can help with this.

Reply to Tile size difference in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks