Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Suspended Timber Floor Tile Prep in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Suitability. Does it work without any issues

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Now you have what you have in terms of the floor timbers we need to ensure that what ever is done now works for you and is the best and most efficient remedy so that you can get the tiles down and be confident that the floor is sound and tiles will be there for a long time happily :grinning: It’s best to get this spot on now.

OP
D

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
acaciaguy I agree!

I've got the original timbers I removed here still, which are the same size and in decent condition (I think they are about 18 years old)

There isn't much space in the void (between 8" and 10") and certainly no easy access without taking the entire floor up so maybe putting down more sleepers is out of the question for now.

Other solutions for supporting mid span without brickwork but some limited access. This is an old house so I'd rather not hang anything new off the existing internal walls so it'll need to be freestanding...

I could use the old 4x2s as sisters, or I could grab a few 6x2s and notch around the sleeper. The "4x4s" in the middle are solid for the span so I doubt these need tinkering with. As I said, M12 bots at 500 centers with 50mm Sabrefix timber connectors.

W

Waluigi

You wouldn’t tend to add sleepers afterwards. Considering a sleeper wall is constructed, then S&C, then DPC then more S&C and then a section of 4” x 2” on its side which is then screwed/nailed into from the joists above- I can’t see how adding a sleeper wall would work easily after the joists are down.

OP
D

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
You wouldn’t tend to add sleepers afterwards. Considering a sleeper wall is constructed, then S&C, then DPC then more S&C and then a section of 4” x 2” on its side which is then screwed/nailed into from the joists above- I can’t see how adding a sleeper wall would work easily after the joists are down.

Agreed, if it were a clean slate then different story! I've got plenty of time, but at least I can weigh up the options of making this installation tile suitable.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Take noggins out and double up the 4 x 2. It’s fairly simple and cheap. Where are you getting timber from locally

OP
D

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
Take noggins out and double up the 4 x 2. It’s fairly simple and cheap. Where are you getting timber from locally

BPS normally in Leam. No particular reason other than locality. Theres a TP and an MK nearby as well.

I'd leave the perimeter noggins and joint supports in place. I wont be able to span the same length as I have UFH pipes in the way so I'll have to come up maybe 4 inches short.

OP
D

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
That’s because they’re completely different products.
And have different functions.

I will go and read up. Looks like same sort of height increase so maybe a more suitable product for this substrate, and use Ditra over the concrete.

Reply to Suspended Timber Floor Tile Prep in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock