Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Some questions on my first job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

KevinH

TF
Reaction score
Hi
First “major” tiling project for me starting this weekend – tiling the bathroom in my loft conversion. The bathroom is built above a dormer with the side walls being 1m high meeting a sloping roof. I have a shower at the gable end of the dormer. The photo shows one corner of the room so you can get an idea. End walls to be tiled to ceiling. Ceiling has now been plastered and painted.
Tiles have been chosen by the wife – 300x430 approx. with a decorative border 60x310. The tiles are to be laid horizontally with the border on the top edge where it meets the sloping roof.
I have a couple of questions:
1. What is the ideal grout width for these tiles? 3mm seems a little on the thin side.
2. What is the best way to finish the top edge of the border tile, the edge of which isn’t finished? I’ve considered a flat edge trim but I don’t think it will look very neat. I don’t think I can position the tile up to the transition point from the wall to the sloping roof as this is a radius rather than a defined angle so hard to fill. One options would be to paint the exposed edge of the tile. Any other suggestions?
Cheers - Kev

Attachments

• IMG_2877.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 46
T

Time's Ran Out

For that size tile 3mm joint is right.
Top edge of unglazed border - tile trim - square or round - your choice.

KevinH

TF
Reaction score
I'll have to cut around 50mm of the bottom row of tiles assuming they are stacked border whole whole part from top to bottom.

Reply to Some questions on my first job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks