UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Some questions before I start with Natural Slate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mini670

Hi,

I bought my 9m sq slate yesterday from Wickes.
It is the rough looking stuff with orange/red/yellow impurities on it.
After reading many posts on here im even more confused than i was before!

my plan is:

1 - scrub each tile clean with water (its quite dusty)
2 - seal the top sides of each tile
3 - let them dry
3a - Grade them, thickest to be used in middle.
4 - lay the tiles
5 - seal again
6 - grout
7 - seal again.

Does that sound ok?

Now some of the tiles are out of square (5mm across diagonals) should i persevere with them or return them?

Which sealer for a matt finish, easy clean? When sealing before laying which sealer, I ask as read a thread that someone said sealing before grouting made cleaning the grout up a tedious task.

How do they look with grey or black grout? Thinking white would be hard to keep white.

Cheers

B

BWTiling

Hi,

I bought my 9m sq slate yesterday from Wickes.
It is the rough looking stuff with orange/red/yellow impurities on it.
After reading many posts on here im even more confused than i was before!

my plan is:

1 - scrub each tile clean with water (its quite dusty)
2 - seal the top sides of each tile
3 - let them dry
3a - Grade them, thickest to be used in middle.
4 - lay the tiles
5 - seal again
6 - grout
7 - seal again.

Does that sound ok?

Now some of the tiles are out of square (5mm across diagonals) should i persevere with them or return them?

Which sealer for a matt finish, easy clean? When sealing before laying which sealer, I ask as read a thread that someone said sealing before grouting made cleaning the grout up a tedious task.

How do they look with grey or black grout? Thinking white would be hard to keep white.

Cheers

Personally I'd go with Grey Grout and wouldn't Seal prior to Laying / Grouting as it will make it a Nightmare to clean the excess off, unless you use an emulsifying pad but will thin the seal and have to be redone anyway!! Give them a thorough clean after grouting / before Sealing and they'll come up a treat and with Grey Grout you shouldn't have any "Bleed" into Slate because of the density! As for Substrate make sure you use a good Flexi Adhesive and Grout regardless of Concrete or Timber and if it's being boarded then make sure that the Ply or Backerboard is thick enough!! Shouldn't have any problems then fella! Let us know how you get on?

E

enduro

I laid these a while ago for a customer and used sandstone grout. floors 002.jpg
pencil.png

H

Homza

This is some 12" x 12" (300 x 300) slate for an exterior entrance. Used grey grout.
I would seal after laying tile but before grout, then again after grouting. I like to use a color enhancing sealer. Brings out the color of the stone nicely.
Side note: We can get away with slate exterior, but not all slate is good for exterior use in freeze/thaw climates.

Attachments

• slate 2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 51
  • slate 1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 43
S

Selina

Wow, Homza, they look great!

I have tiles like that in my kitchen, professionally laid by a (now retired) friend of a friend about 8 years ago. I love 'em, uneven edges and all, but the colours on mine are nowhere near as bright. I recall the tiles were sealed with something or other straight after they were laid - could I get a result using colour enhancer now, or has my chance long gone?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Some questions before I start with Natural Slate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Pro help please... i have a large outside area 6msq approximately...ive just had a concrete...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views
We've just had our new tiles fitted and grouted, but they have some nasty grout residue on the...
Replies
Views
I had my bathroom done in September and my floor tiles have movement in them and the grout is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.