Discuss Should i use batten to ensure straightness? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi

This is my second hopeful advice post this morning. I'm a first timer looking to over-tile my kitchen splashback in 6mm thick 10x30cm ceramic metros (over 10x10cm rough-cut stone-effect (not sure which material)). The other post was about whether to prepare the wall to reduce slippage. This one is regarding how I should set about ensuring straight lines.

My worktops and cabinets appear to have been installed extremely straight as per photos. My query is about whether I should just start centrally at worktop level, behind the cooker hob to ensure symmetry (so long as this doesn't leave me with uncuttable thin slivers at either side) and move up and out. My thinking is that using the worktop as my guide should ensure straightness. Or should I affix some sort of wooden batten system like I have seen some sites advise online.

Attachments

• IMG-20211113-WA0002.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-20211113-WA0006.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-20211113-WA0000.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-20211113-WA0004.jpeg
    537.8 KB · Views: 17

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
If your worktops are level I would start on a full tile working up, providing this works when cutting around sockets, cupboards etc. I would also centre on the hob, again providing all other cuts work out.

Reaction score
:)
Thanks for that, Trigger. Just needed a bit of reassurance I think.

I've done my measurements though and I don't think I'll be able to centre behind the hob, unless I want to leave myself a tiny sliver to the left. What's the smallest cut you recommend attempting?

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Have you also worked out the layout based on using the centre of a tile as your centre line on the hob (if that makes sense) rather than a grout line. It might avoid having a small cut elsewhere.

With regards the size of a small cut, its a difficult one. It is whatever you think will look right, if its to small it will look awful though.

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried both configurations. I think one left me with around 4cm and the other even less. I also seem to recall that the centre point way was also not looking good for electric points.

I've got quite a lot of prep to do before I start now. Going to have to replace plasterboard which is coming off with the tiles. Once I've done that I'll go back to my planning and see what the lesser of two evils is; I'd happily sacrifice a small cut in the corner behind the bread bin if it means having a nice centre behind the hob.

Thanks again, your advice is really helpful.

Reply to Should i use batten to ensure straightness? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks