Discuss Do I need a Screed/levelling compound? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,

I should start off by stating that I am an experienced DIYer only but have tackled some fairly tricky jobs in the past such as full restoration of Sash windows, rebuilding/insulating a whole suspended floor and various tiling and paving jobs with success.

I own a Victorian terrace house and I recently bought some Original Style Victorian Floor Tiles and I would like to do the tiling myself, partly because I enjoy the challenge but also due to the fact that I am planning on selling my house in the next couple of years and I want to keep costs to a minimum.

I want to lay in a simple geometric pattern down the path (2140mm*94mm) leading up to my door. The path is square, level and solid. It has been down for at least a decade and there are no cracks.

I will check that that tolerance level is +/- 2mm max and that there is a slight angle for run-off but other than that I was planning on laying the tiles straight onto the concrete slab using Nicobond Standard Set Flex S1 Adhesive.

Having read some posts in this forum and online, I am a bit unsure whether I should use a self levelling compound or screed of some sort. I am thinking this because some of the aggregate, is showing through the top of the concrete bed and I am concerned about adhesion.

I have height to play with so am not fussed about doing this extra job but would rather go without the hassle if possible. What are people's thoughts on this issue. I am aware that it likely wouldn't harm to put down a screed but I am looking to understand if the benefit would be worth the extra cost and effort.

I appreciate some people will tell me that I should simply hire a professional and I am grateful for this advice. that being said, I have decided that I am going to undertake this job myself and would really appreciate the advice on the specific question I am asking.

Thanks,

Joe

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Not many SLC are suitable for exterior use. Check your slab for flatness before wasting money. It might just require floating over with adhesive. And when the weather is warmer of course.

J

Joseph Lobo

Not many SLC are suitable for exterior use. Check your slab for flatness before wasting money. It might just require floating over with adhesive. And when the weather is warmer of course.
Dave,

Thanks very much for this, exactly the sort of response I was hoping for. I think it will be a screed rather than SLC as I need to maintain the runoff level.

Reply to Do I need a Screed/levelling compound? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks