Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Setting out- things you all consider in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

David Rowell

Just wondering the things you all consider when planning your starting points regarding floors, bathrooms and splash backs?

I

Ian

Have a look around the room at all obstacles, in a typical bathroom I'd always look at, window cill and header, top of door height, how will the cut around the bath look? Focal points such as shower, tap placement etc. each room is different and just centring the wall/floor isn't always the best option. A piece of advice from experience, always run any options past the person who's paying before you start sticking!

Q

Qwerty

As Bri says. Sometimes you will have to sacrifice the most logical or aesthetically best looking option as it will result in a tiny slither of a cut. Then again some customers have before insisted they prefer the slither option to achieve a centralised layout

K

kimboslash

As above - I always try to centre tiles and give the cuts as much symmetry as possible. Also the first points of view when looking through the door or entering the bathroom are important.

When laying tiles brick bond etc... this can cause more headaches with two different cut sizes horizontally, so be sure to double check your layout when doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Never fix your first tile till you know where the last one is going. ...first thing I was ever tought..

D

David Rowell

Cheers for every ones input much appreciated shall be including these tips in my next tiling jobs

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It can sometimes be a bit of a nightmare trying to find the best layout.

The ceiling height (all around the ceiling)
The window (all 4 sides).
The height of the vanity unit (if already fitted).
The level of the floor all the way around the room.
All 4 sides of a niche or niches!
The position of the bath taps or shower controls or both
Above the door and around the door.

I use a laser and a piece of batten as a guide rod.
9k=

images

D

Dash J

Everybody's setting out is different
It makes or breaks a job though
100% a window should be symmetrical that is a must in my opinion,I hate slithers or small cuts
Best bit of advice given here is always converse with the customer because their thinking is mostly always different to ours

Cheers. Marc

Reply to Setting out- things you all consider in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks