Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Qualifications needed for domestic / private work in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hello all,

I have posted on this site before but not for a while ( I promise to try harder!). This a great forum and is of great support to me.

I have been tiling for approx 15 years. Not full time but more part time as part of my other roles within the property business. I have learnt all I know from working with seasoned tilers, going on bal and other manufacture training, as well as reading about tiling standards and methods online such as on here. I’m always learning and always want to know that what I’m doing is right and best for customers needs. I do not have any formal qualifications. I do not want to work on site. I love the domestic / private work I do and customers love my work. I don’t advertise it’s all word of mouth / recommendations. When I come across something new I will ask others for help and advice or hand it off to someone else if I’m not 100% sure I will do the best job. My question is - is still okay to work without any qualifications ? Have there been any changes anywhere or are any planned that people know about saying that you must have a certificate / licence / be a member of an official scheme to undertake domestic tiling.

Many thanks as ever

T

Time's Ran Out

As long as you have insurance and you pay your tax then anyone can do domestic work, whether it’s tiling, carpentry, painting etc just go for it!
It’s one of those trades that no qualifications are required, invest in a few tools and a nice sign written van, tout your services and as you’ve found the phone never stops.
Full time, part time, evenings and weekends just whenever you want it’s easy!
The only skill you need is to enjoy it.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hello timelessjohn and thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. I should have said in my first post that I’m fully insured / self employed tax etc.

I fully agree about having to enjoy. Makes it so much fun to do.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've been tiling for 36 years and have not one single tiling qualification.....
I started on new builds in the day's when you just turned up and got on with your job .
Then switched to domestic work, where your only as good as your last job, the only qualification needed...! ...:)

Reaction score
I've been tiling for 30plus years and when i needed to get a cscs card i couldn't get one as a tiler as i didn't have a recognized qualification cert!!!! had to just get a laborers card:angry:

S

slythetiler

Food for thought...if you do desire a qualification in tiling, or wish to do site work and need a blue card instead of a green card which i believe are now only for basic site skill labourers. You can take an EWPA assessment, minimum requirement is 5 years experience as a tiler, portfolio of evidence, one day at a training centre and an interview with a qualified assessor to determine you skill level. you will get a recognised EWPA NVQ for tiling and be able to get a blue card - skilled worker for site work. Prices start at around £700 + vat depending on what part of the uk you are.

Reply to Qualifications needed for domestic / private work in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks