Discuss Porous tile in wet room? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

thaumata

Hi. This is such a great forum!

I'm about to put a wet room into my (upstairs) bathroom. I'm a newbie homeowner and this is my first big renovation project, so I'm really nervous about buying the right materials. I'm getting some conflicting advice regarding travertine tile and wondered if you could set me straight, please?

I have a pro-installer coming to do the tanking/tiles. He tells me to avoid anything porous (like travertine.)

The guy at the tile shop has told me to buy whatever I want, so long as I seal it properly.

So who is correct? If I go with travertine, how often should I expect to seal it?

Also, is there any reason for/against mosaic tiles on the floor? (I just wondered if the slope to the drain will make them difficult to install or just generally not a good idea.)

Thank you so much for any advice. I really appreciate it!

S

Stewart

The shops correct.... You can install any stone you like as long as it's been sealed properly. As for the mosaics... rhey are fine on a wetroom floor as long as substrate is suitable for them.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
personally i don't like travertine on floors,even if its honed/filled you still get holes in it with high heels or kids dropping stuff on it..(but thats just me,bad experiance with it)
as fo the mosiac,imo,shouldent be a problem to any good tiler whichever you put down,be it ceramic,porca or mosiac

G

Gazzer

personally i don't like travertine on floors,even if its honed/filled you still get holes in it with high heels or kids dropping stuff on it..(but thats just me,bad experiance with it)
as fo the mosiac,imo,shouldent be a problem to any good tiler whichever you put down,be it ceramic,porca or mosiac

Yeah dont wear high heals in the wetroom !!!!!!

T

thaumata

Has he priced for ceramics ?

They told us the price was for whatever kind of tile we wanted. The guy at the tile store said it's more work to put in something like travertine and maybe that's why they were discouraging it.

Thank you all for your help.

S

Stewart

That's quite scary that the tilers price covers any tile. My price would be double for stone as it would be for ceramic..... Sounds to me like you need to find a true pro tiler.....

Reply to Porous tile in wet room? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views
Hey guys I have a small bathroom but water seems to leak to the kitchen. I realised under the...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley