Search the forum,

Discuss Polished Porcelain staining - had enough in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

FreeD

I've recently completed a couple of bathroom floors for a customer using wickes polished porcelain tiles black and white in a diamond pattern.

I informed the customer before laying that they would need to be sealed and that this would cost extra (originally ceramic tiles to be fixed). To save money she decided to seal to the tiles herself, i supplyed some HG Impregnator showed her the process and she proceded to seal the lot.

I've now laid these tiles, and grouted and since grouting the customer has noticed some staining on a few of the black tiles...now this staining was not there after i had grouted, plumbers and chippie have been in since and she has been using the bathroom, she has tried to remove using soapy water, and turps.

She wants me to sort the staining out and i feel that it is no longer my responsibility, i warned her about the quality of the tiles, and told her that they must be sealed, she insisted on sealing them herself, plus wickes do not state they need to be sealed only that grouts may stain (going on this i sealed them, i used a light grey grout) I feel that this should now be taken up by the customer with wickes...what do u reckon?

As for removing the stain, i've attached a picture...i've seen mentioned on the forum nanoscrub, hg cleaners and ltp cleaners which one should i recommend she trys? acidic cleaner?

17042009001.jpg

O

Olz

Tough one but I think that if she wanted to seal them herself to save money and hasnt done it right then thats her call, but to be honest I would have insisted on doing it my self or not doing the job at all precisley so I didnt find myself in this dilemma.

What were the agreed terms for the work, and her doing the sealing?

F

FreeD

I showed her how to seal the tiles, and told her how important it was to fully cover the tile...wait 5 mins etc...and then buff off.

I feel i'm in the right over this one and that she should try to clean the tiles, if she can't clean them that this could possibly be because she hadn't sealed them properly, or it could be something to do with the tiles and that she should take it up with wickes.

If i had sealed and laid, and then they stained it would be my responsibility?!

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Olz

I just reread my post and maybe it wasnt clear, I agree with you, she sealed them to save money so if they have stained and you have done your stuff properly then thats down to her, It sounds explained what to do to her clearly, she may not have put the effort in, and probably did it as a rush job the night before you tiled.

Have you told her your thoughts yet? What has she said?

F

FreeD

I haven't m8...and i don't want to necessary pass the blame onto her..i think the best solution is to suggest a cleaner...maybe aqua nano (but that she contacts wickes first for advice) if cleaner doesn't work take it up with wickes as all tiles were sealed before laying.

argggghhhh nightmare! so time consuming.

O

Olz

Its hard to tell from the pic, is it grout staining, or is it from something else, water baybe from the plumber fitting the bathroom. Is it all over or just on isolated tiles.

F

FreeD

i'm pretty sure its water m8 theres some marks on other tiles that look like droplets...

had no idea water could stain like that is it easy to remove?

its isolated to about 6 tiles

...1 has what looks like a bottom of bucket mark on...a few with water droplets and this one the worst of the lot which half the tile has a patchy stain on.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

Free...does your grout have latex in it? If so, what might take care of this is a product such as Aqua Mix Heavy Duty Tile and Grout cleaner....that product will break down the latex component of the grout residue and help to break the grout's bond in the microscopic nooks and crannies on the surface of the tile.

We use this method in conjunction with AM sulphamic (weak concentration) to get the latex residue and the cement residue off the tile.

I agree that you are in the right on this, but my experience has been to try and eat some of this and go the extra mile to help work through the problem. The customer won't ever understand her part in all of this, and you might "burn the bridge" so to speak if you merely toss it all in her lap. In other words, I think it is a no-win situation if you don't go and try to work the problem (even though it's not your issue). In 20+ years of working as a contractor, I have only said "too bad" a handful of times, and that was when I was truly at the end of my rope, and then some.

Good luck!

E

enduro

Free...does your grout have latex in it? If so, what might take care of this is a product such as Aqua Mix Heavy Duty Tile and Grout cleaner....that product will break down the latex component of the grout residue and help to break the grout's bond in the microscopic nooks and crannies on the surface of the tile.

We use this method in conjunction with AM sulphamic (weak concentration) to get the latex residue and the cement residue off the tile.

I agree that you are in the right on this, but my experience has been to try and eat some of this and go the extra mile to help work through the problem. The customer won't ever understand her part in all of this, and you might "burn the bridge" so to speak if you merely toss it all in her lap. In other words, I think it is a no-win situation if you don't go and try to work the problem (even though it's not your issue). In 20+ years of working as a contractor, I have only said "too bad" a handful of times, and that was when I was truly at the end of my rope, and then some.

Good luck!
And add a bit of Aqua mix Nano scrub to it. :thumbsup:

Reply to Polished Porcelain staining - had enough in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen